Recipe Kuri Kinton Recipe

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
6:34 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
On the topic of seasonal foods, one delicious fall recipe that I learned living here is Kuri Kinton, which is candied chestnuts and sweet potato. It's pretty famous in Japan and since everything is in season right now here it's a great time to try it.

Here's the recipe - it might be hard to find the candied chestnuts outside Japan but if you have a Japanese market or Asian food store near you they might possibly have it!

1 pound Japanese sweet potatoes
7 ounce bottle of kuri kanroni (candied chestnuts in syrup)
pinch of salt
mirin (eyeball it!)
sugar (eyeball it!)

Method:

Peel the sweet potatoes then cut them into one-inch slices and soak them in a large bowl of water (about 4 hours).

Boil the sweet potatoes until very tender. Mash them with a fork and then push the mashed sweet potato through a sieve to get it extra smooth in consistency.

Put the mashed sweet potato into a small pot. Add the syrup from the bottle of candied chestnuts, along with a pinch of salt, and cook the mixture over low heat. Gradually add mirin and sugar in equal amounts if the mixture looks too dry. The kuri kinton will stiffen slightly once cooled, remember this when you're eyeballing how much liquid to add in.

Continue cooking on low heat, stirring to make sure the mixture doesn’t burn, until it has a slightly glossy look to it. Add the candied chestnuts and cook for several more minutes to heat through and then let cool.

Serve and enjoy!

I doubt I would make this but it does sound very good and unique. I would definitely try it if somebody else made it. It seems like a lot of work. I have seen the candied chestnuts at the local market.

I'm fascinated by this because I'm not sure how the end result should be. I'm assuming a sort of mashed potato consistency. But its obviously a sweet/pudding... my two questions are: why do you need to soak the sweet potato and is the final dish served warm or cold?

I'm fascinated by this because I'm not sure how the end result should be. I'm assuming a sort of mashed potato consistency. But its obviously a sweet/pudding... my two questions are: why do you need to soak the sweet potato and is the final dish served warm or cold?

It's served at room temperature :) as for the soaking, I think it's to do with the starch. I learned the recipe from a Japanese cooking class I did here in Tokyo, and it was one of the seasonal dishes that the instructor helped us make! She had pre-soaked the sweet potato for us but I'm guessing that it would work okay without soaking it as well. And yes, the consistency is much like mashed potato but it's a sweet!

Back
Top Bottom