Labor day

November the 5th! It looks like Parliament here might actually get blown up soon... its Brexit Boris Bonkers.
...and if you're in a certain part of Ohio (my house), you'll find we celebrate Guy Fawkes Day as well. Nothing fancy, but we light the backyard firepit and I make caramel (toffee) apples. We don't light off fireworks, though, because that'd just confuse our neighbors. :)

My favorite secondary holiday like that is Veterans' Day in November.

We need that holiday in the UK. We celebrate Remembrance Day but its not a holiday. No holidays from now until Christmas! Not that it matters to me - every day is a holiday when you are retired (so long as you have enough money to survive).

We need that holiday in the UK. We celebrate Remembrance Day but its not a holiday. No holidays from now until Christmas! Not that it matters to me - every day is a holiday when you are retired (so long as you have enough money to survive).
I think your Remembrance Day is like our Memorial Day, in that it's more for those who've died in service. Veterans Day honors anyone who has served, living or dead.

A couple of years ago, the surviving vets in my family met up for breakfast at a place giving free meals to vets. There was:

My dad - US Marines
My uncle - US Army
My oldest brother - US Air Force
My next oldest brother - US Army
Me - US Air Force
Nephew - headed to US Army basic
Nephew - headed to US Marines basic

We had the biggest table in the place, and another uncle (US Air Force combat vet, Korea, deceased), and a great-uncle (US Army, KIA, France) were with us in spirit. It was a good time.

We have vets all the way back to the American Revolution (where we fought on both sides!) and beyond.

Here, there's a dearth of federal holidays between Presidents Day (mid-February) and Memorial Day (end of May). We need to have income tax day off (mid-April)! :laugh:

Being self employed, a day off is a day without income. :rolleyes:

But, I have a prime ribeye steak salted, and mini-dry-aging in the fridge. I'll sous vide cook it, and give it a fast and scorching hot sear. Probably corn on the cob and/or potato salad on the side.

Over the years I have owned four boats and a SeaDoo. That was at the center of my Labor Day plans. But, I am without lake toys at this time, so I'm limited to my backyard.

I do have a nice cigar for late in the evening.

CD
I too used to enjoy a good cigar. But not since 2006. I do miss them.

Russ

I think I read someplace that the UK has a holiday that celebrates a day when parliment almost got blown up. Is that true?

We celebrate guy Fawkes as well, they say the only person in parliament with honest intentions. 1605 or 6 from memory. Hung drawn and quartered????? No public holiday but fireworks night.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom