Lack of notifications of a thread recently

Does the thread show in your Watched Threads list?
Yes of course - that's the first thing I checked.

Today it is showing that thread in notifications...so it erratic...hmm

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping this issue was resolved...not so. Despite ensuring that What Did You Cook/Eat Today thread is watched i.e. 'without receiving email notifications'....I am NOT getting the alerts/notifications! On clicking on 'new posts' I find what I have not been notified on...and this isn't satisfactory since it just shows new posts, i.e. if the post is not new I would miss it altogether. I don't understand why this is occurring just on this thread....
588401.gif
You will only get the one alert for the thread.until you have read that thread. So if it has notified you that there is a new reply in the thread, and you have not read it you will NOT get another notification (of any type except for the @ tagging type) until you go back and read the latest post in that thread, until you have read the very latest post - please note that part, it is important. So if 3 pages of replies have happened, and you only read 1 page of them and it is not the last page, you won't trigger the system again.
Plus it does not alert you to every single new reply within that thread. It alerts you that you have 1 or more unread post in that thread, nothing more until you read that last post... It is a limitation of the software here. But the truth is, if there are 100 replies or more to a single thread, I would personally not want 100 or more notifications for that one thread! Now multiply that by the number of threads you are following - say only 15... how many alerts would you end up with on a busier forum? Just remember to use the Watch Threads list to keep track of what you are watching - though that has limits as well. If you don't read something within I think 6 months, it removes it from the list, so you can't use it as a 'here's a useful bit of info, I want to bookmark it' list.

Last edited:
I was hoping this issue was resolved...not so. Despite ensuring that What Did You Cook/Eat Today thread is watched i.e. 'without receiving email notifications'....I am NOT getting the alerts/notifications! On clicking on 'new posts' I find what I have not been notified on...and this isn't satisfactory since it just shows new posts, i.e. if the post is not new I would miss it altogether. I don't understand why this is occurring just on this thread....
588401.gif

@creative the database shows that you have been sent alerts for the current thread - these are the four most recent ones (times are GMT - but it does show you've had alerts):

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-did-you-cook-eat-today-may-2017.9524/page-31#post-79204 - Sat, 20 May 2017 17:32:22 GMT
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-did-you-cook-eat-today-may-2017.9524/page-31#post-79224 - Sat, 20 May 2017 23:07:32 GMT
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-did-you-cook-eat-today-may-2017.9524/page-33#post-79336 - Mon, 22 May 2017 01:03:51 GMT
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/what-did-you-cook-eat-today-may-2017.9524/page-33#post-79359 - Mon, 22 May 2017 09:56:05 GMT

Can you confirm this is the correct thread you have watched? The May one? You haven't watched an older thread by accident, one from April or before?

If you'd like, I can login as you to check / take screen shots to see what is happening. Let me know and I'll send you a personal message to arrange it.

Kind regards,
Shaun

Not sure if this will help, but you only get an alert for the FIRST new post after you've read a thread or made a post in it - you don't get any more alerts about the thread until you've read the thread again to the very latest page, or made a new post in it - a bit like this:

upload_2017-5-22_12-37-7.png

Not sure if this will help, but you only get an alert for the FIRST new post after you've read a thread or made a post in it - you don't get any more alerts about the thread until you've read the thread again to the very latest page, or made a new post in it - a bit like this:

View attachment 7208
Maybe it's the heat of the day, but I am finding this so confusing! So not being alerted to every new post on a watched thread is the norm then? This is peculiar to this forum then, i.e. on other forums every post gets notified.

I think I understand....thank you both for your replies.

Maybe it's the heat of the day, but I am finding this so confusing! So not being alerted to every new post on a watched thread is the norm then? This is peculiar to this forum then, i.e. on other forums every post gets notified.

I think I understand....thank you both for your replies.
Echoing what's been said, this forum is quiet compared to some. Think what it'd be like coming back in the evening to close on 200 alerts(tagged/mentioned, quoted and new posts on watched threads).

You'd spend that long going through them, you'd start to wonder if it was worth it. I have only the one watched thread on CC due to this.

Same applies to most forums. E-mail alerts for every new reply/post soon filled the inbox, 15,000 in less than a month.

Echoing what's been said, this forum is quiet compared to some. Think what it'd be like coming back in the evening to close on 200 alerts(tagged/mentioned, quoted and new posts on watched threads).

You'd spend that long going through them, you'd start to wonder if it was worth it. I have only the one watched thread on CC due to this.

Same applies to most forums. E-mail alerts for every new reply/post soon filled the inbox, 15,000 in less than a month.
That is why I turned off email alerts on another forum. My phone was going off every 15 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom