Recipe Lasagne Di Carnevale.

Saranak

Local time
9:35 PM
Ciao everyone,

I believe that I have mentioned Lasagne Di Carnevale in a previous post. Now there is Lasagne and then there is Lasagne Carnevale. My family simply cannot get enough of it! Again as with most Napulitano dishes there must be hundreds of versions if not thousands. Suffice to say that it outrageously rich and filling. This is my own version based very closely on one of my mamas, I have seen big men unable to move after a good plate full of this, my husband included!! I do serve with a good green salad. I seriously recommend that you make a Napulitano Ragu a few days or week before save some of the sauce to use as a base for this. It will give an intensity that you cannot get with a freshly made meat sauce. This will feed 8.

You will need -

700 g Lasagne sheets fresh if at all possible.
250 g Lean chopped beef. Chopped not minced.
250 g Chopped lamb.
8 Cervellatine sausages any good Deli should have, or any good sausages.
100 g Stale bread.
400 g Fresh Mozzarella Di Bufala.
1 kilo Ricotta.
1 Egg
Milk.
100 g Parmesan.
Vegetable oil,
Olive oil.
Fresh Porcini.

Method -
  1. Assume that you have sauce left over from the Napulitano Ragu. Using a knife chop half the beef and lamb into small pieces about the size of a little finger nail. Add olive oil to a pan and gently brown the meat.
  2. Once browned add the sauce. Stir and simmer very gently. The sauce needs to be thicker than usual for a meat sauce.
  3. Soak the bread in milk and squeeze out the excess, add to the rest of the chopped meats with the Parmesan egg and a pinch of salt.
  4. Mix and blend together well, then make tiny meatballs. Put the sausages into the oven to cook.
  5. Fry the meatballs in hot vegetable oil. Drain on scotch paper.
  6. Once the sausages are cooked let cool then slice thin.
  7. Mix the ricotta with a little lukewarm water until creamy. Add tablespoon of the meat sauce to add flavour. Add the meatballs and sliced sausages into the meat sauce and simmer for around fifteen minutes.
  8. Slice the Porcini very thinly.
  9. Lightly grease a large Lasagne dish or similar add a thin layer of the meat sauce and start the layers. Make sure the sheets overlap a little.
  10. Spread the ricotta mix on the sheets, sprinkle with grated parmesan, add Mozzarella, add a layer of porcini and then meat sauce. Build as many layers until no sheets are left.
  11. Bake at 350 F until a golden crust forms. Wait about 20 minutes if you can resist until serving.
So there we have the Lasagne Carnevale or as my daughter says an extra dress size on a plate!!

Sarana x

Ciao everyone,

I believe that I have mentioned Lasagne Di Carnevale in a previous post. Now there is Lasagne and then there is Lasagne Carnevale. My family simply cannot get enough of it! Again as with most Napulitano dishes there must be hundreds of versions if not thousands. Suffice to say that it outrageously rich and filling. This is my own version based very closely on one of my mamas, I have seen big men unable to move after a good plate full of this, my husband included!! I do serve with a good green salad. I seriously recommend that you make a Napulitano Ragu a few days or week before save some of the sauce to use as a base for this. It will give an intensity that you cannot get with a freshly made meat sauce. This will feed 8.

You will need -

700 g Lasagne sheets fresh if at all possible.
250 g Lean chopped beef. Chopped not minced.
250 g Chopped lamb.
8 Cervellatine sausages any good Deli should have, or any good sausages.
100 g Stale bread.
400 g Fresh Mozzarella Di Bufala.
1 kilo Ricotta.
1 Egg
Milk.
100 g Parmesan.
Vegetable oil,
Olive oil.
Fresh Porcini.

Method -
  1. Assume that you have sauce left over from the Napulitano Ragu. Using a knife chop half the beef and lamb into small pieces about the size of a little finger nail. Add olive oil to a pan and gently brown the meat.
  2. Once browned add the sauce. Stir and simmer very gently. The sauce needs to be thicker than usual for a meat sauce.
  3. Soak the bread in milk and squeeze out the excess, add to the rest of the chopped meats with the Parmesan egg and a pinch of salt.
  4. Mix and blend together well, then make tiny meatballs. Put the sausages into the oven to cook.
  5. Fry the meatballs in hot vegetable oil. Drain on scotch paper.
  6. Once the sausages are cooked let cool then slice thin.
  7. Mix the ricotta with a little lukewarm water until creamy. Add tablespoon of the meat sauce to add flavour. Add the meatballs and sliced sausages into the meat sauce and simmer for around fifteen minutes.
  8. Slice the Porcini very thinly.
  9. Lightly grease a large Lasagne dish or similar add a thin layer of the meat sauce and start the layers. Make sure the sheets overlap a little.
  10. Spread the ricotta mix on the sheets, sprinkle with grated parmesan, add Mozzarella, add a layer of porcini and then meat sauce. Build as many layers until no sheets are left.
  11. Bake at 350 F until a golden crust forms. Wait about 20 minutes if you can resist until serving.
So there we have the Lasagne Carnevale or as my daughter says an extra dress size on a plate!!

Sarana x

I know this dish very well.....I'm craving of it now!

Back
Top Bottom