Latin American dishes

Chef Rick Bayless has some restaurants in Chicago that I would like to try. He specializes very traditional Mexican dishes. He apparently takes his staff to Mexico from time to time so they can eat the food there? His YouTube videos are rather long-winded, but he gets into the details of Mexican cooking.

CD
Unfortunately, I can't watch internet videos because of my slow metered satellite internet service. I live in the boonies where we don't fast internet and a few other niceties of life. I will see if I can find some of his recipes on the internet. By the way is there a Ninfa's in Dallas? I was a regional manager for a company headquartered there many years ago and Texas was part of my region so I'm familiar with the city and the area. I've had some great Tex Mex there.

By the way is there a Ninfa's in Dallas?

I had to do a search. Yes, there is one location in Dallas. There once were four, but three went under. Nina's is not a big name in Dallas, like it is in Houston. The chain that is big here is Marianos LaHacienda Ranch. The frozen margarita machine was invented there. That's my favorite TexMex place here.

That first margarita machine is in the Smithsonian Museum.

CD

There is a good gourmet Mexican restaurant in Dallas -- Javier's. The owner is a car guy, like me, but drives Ferraris, not Audis. :laugh: I did a big photoshoot of his restaurant and his cigar bar next door. My assistant and I got to eat the food I photographed. :hungry:

Here is his web site. You have to scroll way down to see a menu. Javier's Gourmet Mexicano – We hope that you will be pleased with our food and hospitality. Our purpose is to familiarize you authentic Mexico City Cuisine.

EDIT: That link was not that long when I copied and pasted it into this post. :eek: :laugh:

CD

I had to do a search. Yes, there is one location in Dallas. There once were four, but three went under. Nina's is not a big name in Dallas, like it is in Houston. The chain that is big here is Marianos LaHacienda Ranch. The frozen margarita machine was invented there. That's my favorite TexMex place here.

That first margarita machine is in the Smithsonian Museum.

CD
Thanks. I'm not enough of a drinker even to know that there is such a thing as a margarita machine.

Moles are super interesting as every chef has his own ideas how a proper Mole should taste like and you can end up throwing in all your spices

to all the chili sommeliers here, what are your best tipps for sauces?
I'm usually just looking for a non overspiced meal

Rick Bayless had cooking shows for a while. I don't remember if it was on FN or PBS. There was generally a clip in Mexico regarding the dish he was cooking. We've made some of his recipes off the net, the last being fideos of some kind.

We've got a high end Mexican place and a hole in the wall diner type place that are both family owned. Both families go to Mexico several times a year to source ingredients. The hole in the wall place makes great tamales.

The Two Hot Tamales, Mary Sue and Susan, have a cookbook as well as a really old show on FN. We've made several of their recipes out of the cookbook, and have been quite pleased.

I came up with a copycat recipe for Mexican meatballs that Aaron's mother reportedly came up with. While not truly Mexican, it's very good and I have been thinking about making it recently.

Recipe - Mexican meatball tacos

There's also Diana Kennedy if you want to explore Mexican food.

There's also Diana Kennedy if you want to explore Mexican food.
A strange ambassador for Mexican food, really: an English lady who met an American journalist in Haiti, then moved to Mexico in 1957. She never left. Her books are considered to be authoritative accounts of real Mexican food, because she travelled the length and breadth of Mexico seeking out new recipes, ancient ingredients, and recording cooking techniques. She was known for her no nonsense approach, as well. She'd pull out a tape recorder to record police asking for bribes!

Rick Bayless had cooking shows for a while. I don't remember if it was on FN or PBS. There was generally a clip in Mexico regarding the dish he was cooking. We've made some of his recipes off the net, the last being fideos of some kind.

Rick Bayless went over to YouTube. He has a channel there under his Name.

CD

Rick Bayless went over to YouTube. He has a channel there under his Name.

CD
Don't really care as I avoid you tube. And, you had already mentioned he was on you tube so it didn't need repeating. I was adding additional information.

He's very authentic, as far as I'm concerned, although I've never eaten in any of his restaurants. He knows his Mexican food!

I have a book by him as I do/did cook mole and I thought it might improve my skills. Unfortunately I found it rather wordy and laborious, though I'm sure he knows his stuff. Not sure if I ever posted a mole recipe on the forum...

Back
Top Bottom