Leaf/herbal Infusions?

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:44 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Does anyone else here make their own leaf infusions? Just wondering.

I make up a 1/2L of nettle, peppermint (for flavour), oatstraw, comfrey & horsetail leave infusion each night in a cafetiere which is then allowed to cool overnight and I have a glass of it morning and eveing. Nettle is an excellent source of nutrients and I know I have calcium issues that I need to keep up on because of the steriods needed to control my asthma. Luckily with the exception of 1 bone, my bone denisty is well above average for my age (but that one bone, my left femur has been confirmed as having osteoporosis). All of the above are really good for bone formation, but I was wondering if I was the only one here making my own herbal leaf infusion/tea or if there are others who do the same.

I worked at a summer camp for several years and our "hippy" nurse made her own infusions. St. John's Wort grew wild around the lake where our camp was located, and she made a tincture of it with vodka. She did a few others as well. I always loved visiting the infirmary when she was there. Sort of felt like I was in an old timer apothecary's place.

So I'm curious where you get your herbs. Do you grow them or shop farmer's markets. This probably sounds really uneducated, but of the ingredients listed above, which is the liquid, or what liquid do you use? I find this idea fascinating.

In this instance, all of them are dried leaves. I add boiling water to the mix. Peppermint I sometimes buy when my plant has run out of leaves :)whistling:), nettle I can dry myself (I have a dehrydrator - but storage is more interesting - bulky but does not weigh much) but purchase online from time to time. Oatstraw, comfrey, horsetail I pick up at the local health food shop - local to my mother. I can get it online cheaper but P&P takes it over what it costs me given I cycle or drive over to my mothers a couple of times a week (21 miles each way) and can pick it up at that shop cheaper.

I have used some of the information here http://www.susunweed.com/How_to_make_Infusions.htm, but only make up 1/2 what she states and I redo every night, leaving it to 'stew' overnight. there is a definite difference in the taste & colour. I found a cafetiere much easier after several months of using a kilner jar and nut milk bag for easier straining.

I can't take the homeopathic tablets because they contain lactoste from a dairy source which I am allergic to, so this is the next best option for me.

Back
Top Bottom