Recipe Leek and smoked haddock risotto

TheChefGoingHomeToday

Local time
5:55 AM
[Mod.Edit: recipe moved to a new thread. All recipes need to be posted as new threads to be searchable (MG)]

Looks delicious, I am a huge fan of risotto. Any chance for you to share the recipe?

Timenspace

Yes of course, here it is:

Ingredients (Serves 2)
  • 1 Leek, trimmed and finely sliced.​
  • 1 Shallot, finely diced.​
  • 1 Garlic glove, finely grated or crushed (Optional).​
  • 150g Risotto rice (I prefer Carnaroli) - (75g per person).​
  • 100ml Dry white wine (optional).​
  • 600ml Chicken stock (I use a ratio of 4:1 with the rice, so 300ml per 75g serving of rice)​
  • 220g Smoked haddock (110g per person).​
  • 300ml Fish stock (for the smoked haddock).​
  • 25g Parmesan, freshly grated.​
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional).​

Method
  • Cook the shallot in 1tbsp of oil (I use rapeseed) until soft then add the garlic, if using, cook for 1 min.
  • Add the leek and cook until soft (8 to 10 min). Stir regularly.
  • Add the rice and cook the risotto as normal... (white wine optional).
  • 10 minutes before the rice is ready, in a separate pan add the smoked haddock (skin on) to the fish stock and gently bring to the boil.
  • Turn off the heat and cover for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the haddock is cooked. Remove from the stock.
  • Finish the risotto with the Parmesan and lemon juice (if using).
  • Remove the skin from the smoked haddock (should separate easily if the fish is cooked) and cut into large chunks.
  • Add the smoked haddock to the risotto and combine gently so the fish doesn't break up.
An alternative method to cook the smoked haddock is to use milk instead of stock, bring to the boil and leave to simmer gently. I use this method for a smoked haddock and leek quiche, adding the poaching milk to the quiche mixture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timenspace

Yes of course, here it is:

Ingredients (Serves 2)
  • 1 Leek, trimmed and finely sliced.​
  • 1 Shallot, finely diced.​
  • 1 Garlic glove, finely grated or crushed (Optional).​
  • 150g Risotto rice (I prefer Carnaroli) - (75g per person).​
  • 100ml Dry white wine (optional).​
  • 600ml Chicken stock (I use a ratio of 4:1 with the rice, so 300ml per 75g serving of rice)​
  • 220g Smoked haddock (110g per person).​
  • 300ml Fish stock (for the smoked haddock).​
  • 25g Parmesan, freshly grated.​
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon (optional).​

Method
  • Cook the shallot in 1tbsp of oil (I use rapeseed) until soft then add the garlic, if using, cook for 1 min.
  • Add the leek and cook until soft (8 to 10 min). Stir regularly.
  • Add the rice and cook the risotto as normal... (white wine optional).
  • 10 minutes before the rice is ready, in a separate pan add the smoked haddock (skin on) to the fish stock and gently bring to the boil.
  • Turn off the heat and cover for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the haddock is cooked. Remove from the stock.
  • Finish the risotto with the Parmesan and lemon juice (if using).
  • Remove the skin from the smoked haddock (should separate easily if the fish is cooked) and cut into large chunks.
  • Add the smoked haddock to the risotto and combine gently so the fish doesn't break up.
An alternative method to cook the smoked haddock is to use milk instead of stock, bring to the boil and leave to simmer gently. I use this method for a smoked haddock and leek quiche, adding the poaching milk to the quiche mixture.

Thank you, I have figured out something alike. I am not sure if I can get haddock but I’m sure 100% I can get cod. I like the idea to use milk as alternative to stock.

Thank you, I have figured out something alike. I am not sure if I can get haddock but I’m sure 100% I can get cod. I like the idea to use milk as alternative to stock.
Smoked cod would work. You could also use salmon fillets (cook separately and add at the end as with the smoked haddock) or smoked salmon (no cooking just add at the end), leek goes well with salmon. I have a recipe for a cod and pea risotto.

Brilliant! Thank you! Such variety! I have read about the stock,yes, you are right. Will do surely. Once you get the how to right, it might be easy indeed.
You can buy good quality pre-made stock online. During the week when doing a quick meal I happily use a stock cube, it doesn't affect the cooking of the risotto itself, any difference will be in the flavour. The important thing is to keep whatever stock you are using warm while you are cooking the risotto. Some traditional recipes I've seen use water. with the flavour coming from the base ingredients.

Smoked cod would work. You could also use salmon fillets (cook separately and add at the end as with the smoked haddock) or smoked salmon (no cooking just add at the end), leek goes well with salmon. I have a recipe for a cod and pea risotto.

Salmon, I’m liking even more this idea and right, salmon and leek work just perfectly together. Yep, it’s ok to cook and add salmon or any other fish (apart from seafood) separately or they will break. However, adding just few pieces of them in the making is not bad - they will give the “first fish note” to rice

Salmon, I’m liking even more this idea and right, salmon and leek work just perfectly together. Yep, it’s ok to cook and add salmon or any other fish (apart from seafood) separately or they will break. However, adding just few pieces of them in the making is not bad - they will give the “first fish note” to rice
Yes... the book I have on classic Italian cooking refers to adding fish as part of the base. It also says to only use water as the cooking liquid for fish risotti.

Yes... the book I have on classic Italian cooking refers to adding fish as part of the base. It also says to only use water as the cooking liquid for fish risotti.

Yep! I agree about water yet stock fish (a light one) works too. I also use water sometimes in other kind of risotto if I want to get a lighter taste

You can buy good quality pre-made stock online. During the week when doing a quick meal I happily use a stock cube, it doesn't affect the cooking of the risotto itself, any difference will be in the flavour. The important thing is to keep whatever stock you are using warm while you are cooking the risotto. Some traditional recipes I've seen use water. with the flavour coming from the base ingredients.
Really? That is eye-opening. I thought cubes were a no-no in full cooking. I love what you shared, if you use them, surely I can use them too. Time dictates.
Certainly I will want to use proper stock when I can. Warm is the key? I will make a mental note. Thank you!
Water too? Excellent.
The creamy textures but not too runny is what I like and strive for...

If I am not mistaken, one could do a veg broth and pour it into ice boxes and freeze? However, I might prefer a box with a lid on, not to have so much of taste change...

Curious to how my leek risotto is going to turn out this weekend...

Really? That is eye-opening. I thought cubes were a no-no in full cooking. I love what you shared, if you use them, surely I can use them too. Time dictates.
Certainly I will want to use proper stock when I can. Warm is the key? I will make a mental note. Thank you!
Water too? Excellent.
The creamy textures but not too runny is what I like and strive for...

If I am not mistaken, one could do a veg broth and pour it into ice boxes and freeze? However, I might prefer a box with a lid on, not to have so much of taste change...

Curious to how my leek risotto is going to turn out this weekend...
I use homemade or a quality pre-made stock if I can, but I don't stress about it. If a cube or stock pot is all I have, or time for, then that's what I use.

I got to know a Michelin star chef, we had an enlightening conversation when he told me he uses shop bought, ready made crushed garlic for convenience when cooking at home. I thought how ironic that was, lots of home cooks wouldn't dream of doing that and instead would be busy making it fresh from cloves - yet here we have a top chef using it.

A book on traditional Italian cooking methods I have says to only use water for fish risottos (or risotti!), I use a light chicken stock most of the time.

Adding a few knobs of butter and grated Parmesan at the end helps to create the creamy texture. Just add them and let them melt before combining.

Yes, you can make frozen stock pots using an ice cube tray or freeze the stock in portions.

Good luck with your risotto!

Last edited:
Adding a few knobs of butter and grated Parmesan at the end helps to create the creamy texture. Just add them and let them melt before combining.

Right, and mostly do this when you turn off the fire.
I am used to add Parmigiano or any other cheese and so butter to risotto, but I don't have this habit when it comes with fish risotti. Just a matter of taste, I believe.

I use homemade or a quality pre-made stock if I can, but I don't stress about it. If a cube or stock pot is all I have, or time for, then that's what I use.

I got to know a Michelin star chef, we had an enlightening conversation when he told me he uses shop bought, ready made crushed garlic for convenience when cooking at home. I thought how ironic that was, lots of home cooks wouldn't dream of doing that and instead would be busy making it fresh from cloves - yet here we have a top chef using it.

A book on traditional Italian cooking methods I have says to only use water for fish risottos (or risotti!), I use a light chicken stock most of the time.

Yes, you can make frozen stock pots using an ice cube tray or freeze the stock in portions.

Good luck with your risotto!
Thank you so much. It feels easier now!

I love this recipe, and I want to make it soon. :)

By the way, one easy shortcut to make a fish stock is to add the bones from the smoked fish (assuming it has them) to whatever stock you plan to use. Heat for about half an hour, then strain it. Don’t include the skin, as it will make it bitter.

Back
Top Bottom