Leftover Ham

posiimage

Über Member
Local time
10:02 PM
Do any of you have ideas for our Easter ham leftovers? It went a little large this year but I also added lamb chops for the first time. The lamb chops went over really well and I have a whole half of a ham left.

Do any of you have ideas for our Easter ham leftovers? It went a little large this year but I also added lamb chops for the first time. The lamb chops went over really well and I have a whole half of a ham left.
Loads of ideas @posiimag ! Where are you from? Its a good idea to put your location under your picture. See here: How to add your location to below your avatar.

Cooked ham is a good versatile ingredient. You can put it in stir-fries, casseroles, pasta dishes, pies, bakes, soups. Which way do you want to go!

Some ideas here: bakes www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ingredients/leftover-ham-recipes#5

I often will cut it up and portion it out, then freeze some for later use, and add the rest to a pot of beans or lentils. I'm sure @morning glory has you covered, because I get the majority of my recipes from Taste of Home, and have for years. My Mom, Sister and I usually have subscriptions to the magazine, although mine's lapsed right now.

If you have a ham bone freeze it then pressure it with some beans etc. It makes for a great flavor component. You can use it for a special seasoned rice dish or soup. The ham itself you can separate into slices, chunks, and bits. The slices you can use for sandwiches. Chunks I add to my stir fries, scrambled eggs, casseroles, soups etc. I also make ham salad. A bit like tuna salad. My boyfriend loves it on some fresh bread,

Pork Fried Rice served.JPG
Dice some up and make Pork Fried rice

Makes 3- 4 cups

Ingredients

1 to 2 tablespoons butter
2 cups cooked white rice (1 to 2 days old) (rice measurement is taken after it has been cooked).
1-2 eggs beaten
2 tablespoons milk, for each egg
½ cup yellow onion halved set on its end sliced into ¼ inch slices
½ cup coarsely shredded green cabbage
¼ cup thinly sliced celery
1/4 cup frozen peas & carrots, frozen peas and shredded fresh carrots. (If using fresh shredded carrots add them with the cabbage.)
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
½ to ¾ cup diced cooked meat, such as, diced ham, bacon crumbled, chicken diced, or chopped shrimp (or omit if you want vegetable fried rice)
¼ cup bean sprouts, coarsely chopped
¼ to ½ cup soy sauce, to taste

Directions

1. Heat wok over medium high heat, when hot add the onion; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, and cabbage, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, frozen peas and carrots, and garlic. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables are crisp tender. Remove from the wok and set aside. Add the butter to the wok and let it heat for a couple of seconds. Add the rice and stir. If it starts sticking add more oil as needed. When rice looks like it has re-hydrated and is getting soft then start drizzling the soy sauce over the rice to color it. Then add the egg to the mixture and cook stirring until the egg is done. Add the vegetables back to the wok and cook stirring until everything is heated through.

Notes: you can cook the egg in a separate pan then add to rice at end. I would scramble before putting the rice in the pan. Or use a second pan.

make a pot of navy beans using about 1 pound of the meat chopped up. Very Freezable for later when you don't want to cook or it's cold and rainy out. Perfect with a nice piece of crusty bread.

Also use slices for breakfast. pour a little syrup over it in the last few minutes of heating in the skillet. YUMM

Last edited:
A good split pea soup is also freezable and again will use a pound of that leftover meat.

Just found a recipe on my mac that could work. Haven't made it yet though.

Baked Penne and Ham
French's Casseroles & More cookbook

Servings 4

Ingredients

1 package (1.8 oz.) white sauce mix
2 cups milk
1 ½ cups shredded fontina cheese
3 cups cooked penne pasta (2 cups uncooked)
2 cups French’s French fried onions, divided
1 cup deiced cooked ham
1/3 cup chopped oil packed sun dried tomatoes, drained
½ cup frozen peas

Directions

1. Prepare white sauce mix according to package directions using 2 cups milk. Stir in 1 cup cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.

2. In large bowl, combine pasta, 1 cup French fried onions, ham, tomatoes and peas. Pour cheese sauce over all and toss to coat.

3. Microwave, covered, on high for 5 minutes. Stir. Sprinkle with remaining onions and cheese. Microwave on high for 3 minutes until onions are golden and cheese is melted.

That left over ham can make some sandwiches, cold salad, be part of some fried rice or added to a pasta dish just to mention a few off the top of my head. I am guessing it's gone by now? You also have some great ideas above.

I can think of more than one way to use leftover ham. I like to add bits of ham into my scrambled egg. The ham can also be crushed and seasoned to make sandwiches. As I had mentioned in an earlier thread, I always use my ham bone (which may still have on a little ham) in a pot of soup. Bits of ham can also be added to a one-pot meal like cook-up rice, for instance.

Another way I use leftover ham is to incorporate it into a nice quiche. I usually also include tomatoes (roma) and spinach. I don't get ham much, other than at Easter and perhaps one other time during the year (besides slices purchased from the deli), so I tend to eat it whole, but on occasion, I will have a bit of extra, and I like to mix it in with whatever I'm cooking. As Caribbean girl mentioned, it can be added to scrambled egg (I'll usually top with a slice of cheese, remove the pan from the heat, and cover it for a few minutes to melt the cheese), or included in an omelet.

There is a restaurant here called South Supermarket that serves the best spaghetti in town. I would not miss it when we pass that way. Unfortunately, the building was demolished and I have no news if the supermarket is resurrected. Anyway, their spaghetti is very delicious because of the topping which are strips of sweet ham. For ordinary ham, you can dip it in a homemade syrup of plain water and white sugar. Cook the ham for 1 minute before slicing in strips. I'm sure you will enjoy that spaghetti with a unique touch.

We normally eat ham sandwiches for a week after Easter is over. However, you can also make a delicious quiche' using leftover ham, eggs and cheese. Sorry I do not have the recipe on hand right now. It has been a few years since I made it. Leftover baked ham also freezes really well. You can freeze it in family sized or individual sized servings and then eat it when you want for up to six months.

leftover ham can also be used in biscuits for ham and cheese breakfast sammies, or egg and ham breakfast sammies.

Back
Top Bottom