Leftover Magic

Kate

Veteran
Local time
7:13 PM
I don't see a thread for this started already, so I don't think I'm repeating it... but I apologize if I am. There's a nagging in my head that I already answered a question here about leftovers, but I can't find it.

Anyhow, what are some of your favorite things to do with leftovers? Do you turn them into new dishes, or just eat them heated up the way they were for the original meal?

My favorite is using leftover potatoes (browned such as fried or oven browned works best) and mixing them with egg and then scrambling. Meat and herbs can be added... and cheese at the end if you want, but I don't like cheese on eggs so I never do that part.

I usually only cook what I need so don't have leftovers as such - although I do make one batch of pasta sauce for my weekday dinners, I plan it to last the week, so I don't see it as leftovers (if you see what I mean!)

However, I do like bubble and squeak. At Christmas we deliberately cook extra sprouts and potatoes so that we can have it on Boxing day (so again, not really leftovers!)

For me what to do depends much on the type of leftover and the amount.

If it's too little of 2 or 3 different dishes, I may invent a Chinese salad mixing all together with some noodles and soy sauce.

If leftovers are enough for a second serving, I may simply add water, seasoning and perhaps a new ingredient or two for a second cooking time in order to get enough servings for all.

Another good option is mixing leftovers with rice and mold it using a baking crown pan to later slice and serve with potatoes puree or salad as a side dish.

When there is not much time for cooking, leftovers come handy to bake pizza. Pizza dough is easy to prepare and keep refrigerated for emergency case, if not, you may buy at some stores already-made pizza crust :wink:

For us, I cook to last 2 or 3 days so rarely have "leftovers", but sometimes we don't have enough of our homemade indian left to be worthwhile having for another night (usually if my OH has nicked some for lunches) so i will heat it up and serve it in staffordshire oatcakes which it is excellent with.

But more often than not, if there is only a single serving (or less) of something left over the next day, it becomes lunch instead.

I will often take leftover chicken, add taco seasoning to it, and make chicken fajitas with it. We also tend to eat out leftovers for lunch. My preference, on the whole, is to turn them into something new so that they will be less boring on round two.

Back
Top Bottom