Recipe Lentil Blondies

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
5:10 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
I wanted to find a way of using lentils in a dessert (crazy, I know) and I found this recipe online which I am keen to try. Not only does it use lentils in a sweet context but it's also vegan and gluten free.

You can find the original source here:

http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/201...ip-lentil-blondies-vegan-gluten-free-healthy/

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup red lentils
  • 1/2 cup all-natural creamy or crunchy peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/3 cup mini vegan chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top (I use Enjoy Life brand)
Instructions
  1. In a small saucepan, combine lentils and 1 cup of water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are soft. Transfer lentils to a food processor, add a few tablespoons of water, then process until lentils are a smooth puree; set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. Place oats in blender or food processor and process until finely ground and smooth like flour. Don’t worry, it doesn't need to be perfect but it should take a few minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and whisk in baking soda and salt; set aside.
  4. In a large bowl of electric mixer, mix together peanut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla until smooth. Add in lentil puree and mix until well combined.
  5. Fold in oat mixture then gently fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remember that you don't have to bake these completely as they are vegan, so if you like a fudgy bar don't keep them in the oven for much longer than 20 minutes! Cool brownies completely on wire rack then cut into 16 squares.
1-IMG_1295.jpg

How were they did you try them? I have made some of the recipes from Jessica Seinfeld's Deciptively Delicious, which is sneaking vegetables and other healthy foods into fattening or unhealthy treats. The chocolate chip cookies with chick peas were awesome. but they did not store very well. I happen to have lentils now, I would make these.

I find this interesting although I am not a big lentil person. I would not have guessed putting these things together. I think this is something I'd like to taste first before I know all that is involved. I'd hear of these combinations and say I'll pass. If persuaded I'd try it and then be in shock when I hear what I just ate. I am eager to hear how this turns out for either of you.

I've seen something similar, but made with chickpeas, as mentioned by @kgord. I prefer chickpeas over lentils, but would definitely try eating these. I'm glad @kgord mentioned that the chickpea cookies didn't store very well, since I had considered making some and shipping them to my mom. I wonder if these would have the same issue. I love vegetables and other healthy foods, and so don't need to sneak them into desserts, but I think these are a great idea, especially for children who like sweets, but don't want to eat healthy foods.

A fascinating recipe @cupcakechef and you are first off the blocks for the recipe challenge. I, too, was wondering if lentils could be used in a dessert dish but hadn't succeeded in finding anything. So well done for sourcing this. Why are they called 'Blondies'? They are brunette! :laugh:

A fascinating recipe @cupcakechef and you are first off the blocks for the recipe challenge. I, too, was wondering if lentils could be used in a dessert dish but hadn't succeeded in finding anything. So well done for sourcing this. Why are they called 'Blondies'? They are brunette! :laugh:

Honestly I was thinking the same thing!! Maybe they should be renamed "Dusty Blondies"? :laugh: That's what my brown haired husband refers to his hair color as...dusty blonde! :giggle::giggle:

Back
Top Bottom