Less than 7% of the U.S. adult population has good metabolic health

garlichead

Über Member
Local time
12:58 AM
Only 7% of American Adults Have Good Cardiometabolic Health
“We need to shift the conversation, because disease is not the only problem,” O’Hearn said. “We don’t just want to be free of disease. We want to achieve optimal health and well-being.”

I remember this being around 12% just a few years ago. Considering the amount of highly processed and processed foods the average person consumes, this was and is inevitable. Kind of scary really. I suspect other western Countries aren't that much better off.

Between 1992 and 2017, the percentage of obese people in Switzerland doubled from 5% to 11%. A further 31% of the population was overweight in 2017. In the past few years, however, these percentages have stabilized, remaining at roughly the same level. Age, gender, and education play a significant role in overweight and obesity.

I've lived in America so am familiar with their eating and fitness habits. The Swiss have access to the same processed foods. I know the Swiss move a lot more. Dozens of public swimming pools, dozens of pubic running tracks, and hiking paths are everywhere.

Yeah, I never eat out these days and I tend to stick to grains, veggies, meats, and fruits. I do love bread and pasta. I generally make my own bread and now that my work projects are winding down, I will give making fresh pasta a try. I don't want to do whole wheat or any whole grain pastas, though. I've tried them and not a fan.

Yeah, I never eat out these days and I tend to stick to grains, veggies, meats, and fruits. I do love bread and pasta. I generally make my own bread and now that my work projects are winding down, I will give making fresh pasta a try. I don't want to do whole wheat or any whole grain pastas, though. I've tried them and not a fan.
Yeah, I consume grains rarely but pasta and bread is my kryptonite and will partake on occasion. Hard pasta from certain brands only and only cooked by me and bread only from certain local bakers or myself otherwise I have no interest it consuming either or even have a craving or tempted. I don't eat fruit 99% of the time but do consume berries on occasion but I do consume a shed full of protein, mostly beef, lamb, goat, venison, bison, chicken rarely and seafood maybe once a week, but probably eat around 2 to 3 dozen oysters a week. Oh, and an alarming amount of eggs lol. Cheers

Yeah, I consume grains rarely but pasta and bread is my kryptonite and will partake on occasion. Hard pasta from certain brands only and only cooked by me and bread only from certain local bakers or myself otherwise I have no interest it consuming either or even have a craving or tempted. I don't eat fruit 99% of the time but do consume berries on occasion but I do consume a shed full of protein, mostly beef, lamb, goat, venison, bison, chicken rarely and seafood maybe once a week, but probably eat around 2 to 3 dozen oysters a week. Oh, and an alarming amount of eggs lol. Cheers
Yeah, we love eggs. And seafood. Never had bison, hubby has. It's a bit higher in cost hereabouts. Never had goat either, but love lamb. I don't like venison much. I remember you posting a dish last year that had venison and sweet potatoes. It looked good but those are two foods that I won't eat, LOL! Yeah, yeah, I know, I am weird. Most people I know love both!

Yeah, we love eggs. And seafood. Never had bison, hubby has. It's a bit higher in cost hereabouts. Never had goat either, but love lamb. I don't like venison much. I remember you posting a dish last year that had venison and sweet potatoes. It looked good but those are two foods that I won't eat, LOL! Yeah, yeah, I know, I am weird. Most people I know love both!
And pork of course lol. Had a pork chop and 4 eggs for breakfast with some local small tomato's marinated in olive oil and an old balsamic that I only get out once in a while.

And pork of course lol. Had a pork chop and 4 eggs for breakfast with some local small tomato's marinated in olive oil and an old balsamic that I only get out once in a while.
Yeah, if it were up to me I would eat seafood every day and rarely eat meat, but I do love some oinky, too! I have a small pork prime rib roast I need to cook up soon. I got it at a steal, $1.49 lb. I did one a couple months ago in a mushroom sauce and it was fantastic! Making pork ribs for dinner tonight with BBQ sauce. It's been slow cooking in the oven wrapped in foil for a couple hours now. Got a good deal on those as well.

Between 1992 and 2017, the percentage of obese people in Switzerland doubled from 5% to 11%. A further 31% of the population was overweight in 2017. In the past few years, however, these percentages have stabilized, remaining at roughly the same level. Age, gender, and education play a significant role in overweight and obesity.

I've lived in America so am familiar with their eating and fitness habits. The Swiss have access to the same processed foods. I know the Swiss move a lot more. Dozens of public swimming pools, dozens of pubic running tracks, and hiking paths are everywhere.
As an example if people made an attempt to lower their consumption of ultra refined food which is extremely energy dense, high in unhealthy fats, refined starches with added sugar and salt and replaced that with more protein it would move their health markers in the right direction

Processed foods are not only fattening but they put chemicals into your body that shouldn't be there. I try to cook from scratch and patronize restaurants that do the same. I don't manage 100% of course but I'll bet I'm closer to that 7% than most people of my considerable age.

Only 7% of American Adults Have Good Cardiometabolic Health
“We need to shift the conversation, because disease is not the only problem,” O’Hearn said. “We don’t just want to be free of disease. We want to achieve optimal health and well-being.”

I remember this being around 12% just a few years ago. Considering the amount of highly processed and processed foods the average person consumes, this was and is inevitable. Kind of scary really. I suspect other western Countries aren't that much better off.
I've spent a lot of the last week in the hospital visiting my wife. I'm surprised by how a majority of the medical staff there are overweight, even the doctor assigned to my wife's case. You would think that is a group of people who would be sensitive to their own personal health. It all gets down to diet I suppose and, more importantly, the amount of the diet.

I got a kick out of reading the thread about the lunches people eat. I couldn't keep up with some of those meals. I wasn't hungry but I ate lunch today anyway because I've been losing weight faster than I should since my wife's stroke. I ate one leftover beef short rib with an espresso lungo. Nothing else. That was on top of a breakfast of cheese grits with fried eggs. I hope it didn't ruin my appetite for dinner. I have some scalloped potatoes and pork loin left over from the visit from my sisters. I may have to save it for tomorrow.

It's also the stress and how/when we eat, that affects our gut health.
The gut is one of the VIP in today's medical science. They're getting better by the day, with cultivating and implementing high quality gut microbes.

To have a reliable source of prebiotic foods can already help and to eat at roughly the same times with nice people everyday gives a huge benefit

Back
Top Bottom