Let's compare: the price of eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:33 AM
This thread could be first of many, comparing prices in our various countries/regions. Please post a new thread for each item and preface your thread title with 'Lets compare:'

What do 6 free range eggs cost where you live and what are the very cheapest non-free range eggs available?

Cage eggs are banned here, so limited free range is the cheapest. We have limited free range, free range and organic. I always buy Organic eggs. Currently my standard box of 15 organic eggs is priced at 4.49 a box. The more you buy, the cheaper it gets.

These are the cheapest limited free range eggs.

These are regular free range eggs.

We buy our eggs by the dozen..Free range eggs would be around $4.69 for 12...
That's 3.69 US
2.75 Pounds

Cheapest here I can find are from Aldi: 75p for 6 medium free range eggs: ($100 US, $1.28 Canadian, .90 Euros, $1.40 AUS, $1.50 NZ).

We have caged hens here. Legally they have space to perch and nesting areas so not quite 'battery hens'. I think there are plans to ban any caged hens. The cheapest eggs from caged chickens are 48p for 6.

Last time I was there, a carton of eggs (which is 30 eggs) cost $4. I doubt that´s changed very much.
That´s £2.72 in the UK. Mostly they´re free range, but there are no controls/rules which make them organic, orgasmic, semi-organic, free-range, out of range, or anything. They´re just eggs.

Free range, the cheapest Kroger has is $2.69/dozen (£2.02) but they have a buck off coupon, so right now, I could get those for $1.69 (£1.27)

The ones I buy are also organic and certified humane, and those are normally $4.99/dozen (£3.74) but currently on sale for $3.99 (£2.99)

My backup brand, same gradings, is $5.99/dozen (£4.49).

The most expensive eggs in the store are $7.99/dozen (£5.99), free range and in brown and blue shells.

The cheapest are $1.99 (£1.49) for generic supermarket-branded eggs, but I’ve seen those as “cheep” as $.97 (£.73) fairly frequently.

These are all graded large eggs, which are about 2oz per egg.

I buy free range organic eggs delivered to my front door
2 trays of 20 ea for $24
So per egg $1.20 but I dont mind paying for quality. There will be 30% double yolkers in that.
Store bought. 50c.
Pic is comparison.

Russ
Correction: .60c ea. Dumba@#$

Last edited:
Here in Cowboyville Arizona USA, here's what I found as the least expensive for large Eggs (63-73g/Egg) in US Dollars, there's oodles of Google sites to convert to your local currency ...
18 Cage-Free $3.04
12 Non-Free Range $2.06
6 Non-Free Range $1.18
12 Organic Cage-Free $3.48

I'd like to add that the Eggs above, for the most part, I have purchased and they are not the best.
The shells are so thin, you'd best be extremely careful in handling them!
I usually loss 1-3 Eggs per 18 count carton :mad:
Also, that me say that the price of Eggs here swings widely from day to day.
Last week I bought 18 Non-Cage Free Eggs for $1.90 :eek:
When they drop down to less than a dollar per dozen, I'll buy something like 4 dozen ... they'll last a good long time.

Free range, the cheapest Kroger has is $2.69/dozen (£2.02) but they have a buck off coupon, so right now, I could get those for $1.69 (£1.27)

The ones I buy are also organic and certified humane, and those are normally $4.99/dozen (£3.74) but currently on sale for $3.99 (£2.99)

My backup brand, same gradings, is $5.99/dozen (£4.49).

The most expensive eggs in the store are $7.99/dozen (£5.99), free range and in brown and blue shells.

The cheapest are $1.99 (£1.49) for generic supermarket-branded eggs, but I’ve seen those as “cheep” as $.97 (£.73) fairly frequently.

These are all graded large eggs, which are about 2oz per egg.

That sounds about the same for me at my Kroger store. I buy the organic cage free.

Eggs over here are almost all Grade-A large. I believe that is the default size for most American recipes that call for eggs.

CD

Free range duck eggs here are currently between ฿45.00 and ฿55.00 for 10 (£1.03 and £1.26 at today's exchange rate) depending upon size/weight.

Back in '98 we had a pipeline project in Myanmar which made landfall at Tavoy on the west coast. The Australian onshore contract was required by contractual terms to purchase local goods whenever available. At the time of contract start-up local eggs were a couple of cents each but it didn't take long for the price to increase and within weeks they were one dollar each! The locals couldn't afford them. Total, the pipeline operator, had to fly eggs in from Yangon on a regular basis for the contractor staff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom