Let's compare: the price of eggs

We pay £2 per half-dozen free range mixed size eggs delivered to our door (from a smallholding 2.5 miles away). They're quite a bit more expensive than standard supermarket eggs, but they do taste much better. They've recently had to pause deliveries because the hens went off lay all at the same time so we made the mistake of buying some standard free range eggs from the supermarket...we never realised until now how bland and relatively tasteless the standard eggs were compared with our usual ones.

That´s £2.72 in the UK. Mostly they´re free range, but there are no controls/rules which make them organic, orgasmic, semi-organic, free-range, out of range, or anything. They´re just eggs.
Now are the chickens orgasmic or do the eggs make it happen when you eat them?

2,19 EUR = 2,43 $

this are not the cheapest free range that you could find...

but my aunt has a lot of chickens and gives me eggs for free, so I haven't done a research on where I can buy the cheaper eggs :D

uova.jpg

ps. biologiche stands for organic

Last edited:
Here in Portugal eggs are usually sold in 3 different sizes: S, M and L (small to large). They can also be free range or regular.

A pack of 6 small eggs can be bought as cheap as 0,8€. Large sized eggs are around 1,5€ for 6 eggs. I usually prefer to buy medium sized eggs though. Last pack I bought was 10 medium sized eggs for 1,22€.

Yes!
And she also made me wash my hands throughly after collecting the Eggs, something about some sort of protective coating on the shells?
They don't need refrigerating because of the protective coating, but she probably made you wash your hands because there is a risk of salmonella contagion. I knew someone who thought it would be fun to raise chickens and she had her son gather eggs for her in the mornings. He got really sick and she didn't have a clue why. Yep, trip to the ER and yep, it was salmonella. Thankfully caught early enough. They got rid of the chickens after that.

Eggs vary so much in price here it's hard to say from one store to the next, but at the grocery store where I do most of my shopping it is currently $3.29 a dozen for large, free range brown eggs (organic it's over $5 a dozen). I haven't been to the farmer's market lately so I don't know if they might be cheaper there.

I'm afraid this may be going off topic, but how do you boil your eggs?

My grandma would clean the egg shells under running water with a knife and boil the egg together with the rest of the vegetables. I've always heard you shouldn't do this, but grandma does it without any issues. Thoughts?

I'm afraid this may be going off topic, but how do you boil your eggs?

My grandma would clean the egg shells under running water with a knife and boil the egg together with the rest of the vegetables. I've always heard you shouldn't do this, but grandma does it without any issues. Thoughts?

I don't do that, but that's because my husband likes soft-to-medium boiled eggs as a snack and otherwise I rarely boil eggs. Boiling is going to kill any pathogens. Grandma's food never made anyone sick, right?

There are probably a lot of old-school practices they advise against that didn't kill people. Like thawing frozen turkeys, they recommend not thawing in the sink, they now say thaw it slowly in the refrigerator for several days. And they say don't wash your meat, especially chicken, because it might splash salmonella or other bacteria around. Oh, and we aren't supposed to keep leftovers for more than 3-5 days. I have to tell you there have been plenty of times I have eaten leftovers that were in my refrigerator for a week and I didn't get sick.

Back on topic: I need to get some eggs, we are down to our last dozen. We easily go through a dozen eggs a week.

Back
Top Bottom