Letting go

Local time
9:45 PM
I need all the support I can get right now. In my usual haste, I was working in the kitchen last evening and had a major accident. I suffered a massive loss and letting go is going to be a big problem.

This is no joke. Here is a "mugshot" so you can better understand what happened. 20150908_185442_resized_1.jpg
I've had this mug for years. It's like family. My son just realised what happened and wants to know "who did it" perhaps to get to the bottom of the matter. He says it's his favourite mug (that was news to me). I am thinking I am not ready to throw it out.

Is there something you have trouble letting go of even though, it's old and injured?

On a serious note, i have a rather old frying pan that is definitely past its sell by date, but I can't bear the thought of throwing it away.

I do understand. The coffee just will not taste the same in any other mug and no other mug will fit you hand just right. Sorry for your lose.

I need all the support I can get right now. In my usual haste, I was working in the kitchen last evening and had a major accident. I suffered a massive loss and letting go is going to be a big problem.

This is no joke. Here is a "mugshot" so you can better understand what happened.View attachment 1468
I've had this mug for years. It's like family. My son just realised what happened and wants to know "who did it" perhaps to get to the bottom of the matter. He says it's his favourite mug (that was news to me). I am thinking I am not ready to throw it out.

Is there something you have trouble letting go of even though, it's old and injured?

If its damaged, there is only one place for it (for me): the bin. A mug is a mug. If you really don't want to chuck it, use it to keep pens or toothbrushes in. Many moons ago, a friend of mine leaned against my Welsh dresser containing a vintage (complete and perfect) Crown Ducal 'orange tree' tea set. This is (and was) a collectable design from the 1920's. A full tea-set would be worth over £500 these days! Anyway, for some reason he leaned against the dresser in such a way the the whole tea-set came crashing down. Most of it was shattered. It was at that moment I had to shake off any sentimentality or I would have been sunk...

Here is the beautiful orange-tree design :cry:

orange tree.jpg

I don't really like keeping things that are broken - from both a functionality and a potential injury perspective. In saying that though I've lost a number of special mugs like that in my time and it's so disappointing when you accidentally drop it and part of it shatters. Like losing an old friend!!

In this house it would just get repaired! In fact we have several mugs that have had their handles stuck back on with proper ceramic glue and they have been like that for many years, at least over 6 or 7 because it is our favourite pottery and it has been discontinued and there were only 4 ships in the UK that stocked it when it was being sold! :o_o:
I guess I just grew up expecting things to be repaired which they usually were!

In this house it would just get repaired! In fact we have several mugs that have had their handles stuck back on with proper ceramic glue and they have been like that for many years, at least over 6 or 7 because it is our favourite pottery and it has been discontinued and there were only 4 ships in the UK that stocked it when it was being sold! :o_o:
I guess I just grew up expecting things to be repaired which they usually were!
Try repairing a whole vintage Crown Ducal tea set! With the best will in the world...
Its coincidental but there was a programme on Radio 4 today about people obsessed with crockery. Its worth a listen (you'll love this @winterybella !)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05n1dnx

Jack Monroe delves into cupboards and kitchen cabinets to find out how we consume and care about our crockery. This is no trivial matter. Tableware is the result of a negotiation involving your household rituals, attitudes to food and aesthetics. The relationship between cup and lip can get obsessional. It's a delicate subject and one which, as Jack discovers, goes deeper than you might imagine. She talks to people at home in kitchens, in restaurants and in warehouses. She speaks to one man who lives in his car about his experiments with tableware when he doesn't actually have a table, and learns how the choices we make about our crockery and the way we treat it can offer vital clues to the health of a marriage. Jack also hears how one woman turned her addiction to vintage crockery into a business venture, and meets the ceramicist Alison Britton who prefers to drink tea from a white cup.

If you let go what about if you have the rest of the set,that's what happens at home ,we have so many odd mugs and plates some sentimental attachments to a lot of it

If its damaged, there is only one place for it (for me): the bin. A mug is a mug. If you really don't want to chuck it, use it to keep pens or toothbrushes in. Many moons ago, a friend of mine leaned against my Welsh dresser containing a vintage (complete and perfect) Crown Ducal 'orange tree' tea set. This is (and was) a collectable design from the 1920's. A full tea-set would be worth over £500 these days! Anyway, for some reason he leaned against the dresser in such a way the the whole tea-set came crashing down. Most of it was shattered. It was at that moment I had to shake off any sentimentality or I would have been sunk...

Here is the beautiful orange-tree design :cry:

View attachment 1469
EGG CUP.jpg

From £14.20, each, for an egg cup!

If you let go what about if you have the rest of the set,that's what happens at home ,we have so many odd mugs and plates some sentimental attachments to a lot of it
I've given up on sentimental attachments to inanimate objects. People are more important than crockery. A mug is a mug (and I'm determined not to be a mug). Anyway, I'm trying to de-clutter. All I want is nice white plates and mugs and bowls. :cool:

In our house we had one mug for each one of us for personal use with different designs and colors for proper identification. I am using my own mug for 5 years already that is why it had a sentimental value to me. I don't know what will be my reaction if in case it is broken or damage. Maybe I will repair it and use it for other purposes in the house so that it still exist in my sight.

Another one bites the dust.....I broke another mug today. Something just isn't right here. I don't feel the same attachment to this one and it's part of a set. I am sure there are all cheap, but the first one in the photo was perfect in size even for my recent experiments with microwavable mug cakes.

I have a chipped plate for years that I refuse to throw out and still use it from time to time. An old lady gave me that plate years ago as a token of her appreciation and I am keeping it as long as I can as a token of my appreciation even though she is long gone. Morning glory sometimes those sentimental attachments to inanimate objects are the best kinds as the most they can do is break. The attachments to the animate can leave us broken at times.

Mr WD, but that's a whole different ball game :giggle:
The lounge is for sports and games... Let's go.

Back
Top Bottom