Lettuce Leaf Rib

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
6:32 AM
Making a salad this evening:

...and I'm curious if anyone removes the center rib from romaine and similar lettuce varieties?

I like the extra crunch. MrsT doesn't like it at all, so I usually cut it out, but chop it up for myself.

What do you do?

depends on end use . . .
for sandwich use, yes. the extra bite-crunch needed sometimes makes a mess of what's no long inside.....
for salads, only the really big/thick/tough bits.

ref "a milky substance unpleasant to taste" - probably won't see this unless you grow your own. freshly picked it does 'weep' sap - however I've never picked up on an unpleasant taste.

I don´t think I´ve ever consciously removed the rib from lettuce. It gets dumped into the salad, just like the rest of the leaf.
I´ve never found it "unpleasant" either.

I use mainly iceberg or 1000 lakes. I remove the hard white centre bit. It's just me, I don't like the white part, just the green part. The white part is tasteless.

Russ

I don't like the white part, just the green part. The white part is tasteless.
To be perfectly candid, iceberg lettuce is pretty tasteless anyway, when compared to Bib lettuce, or Romano lettuce, or. in fact, any other lettuce inthe world.

...and I'm curious if anyone removes the center rib from romaine and similar lettuce varieties?
What do you do?

If it's thick I break off that bit of the stalk.

That's grass in general - I've not seen Romaine here.

Back
Top Bottom