Lettuce Leaf Rib

What about the stalk/stem on broccoli? I used to never eat that, but now I peel it and use it, and it tastes better than the florets.

I hardly ever eat broccoli. As I don't buy it when I do eat it it will be in a restaurant.

I´ve got a recipe somewhere for "Broccoli Stalk Salad". I think it came from a Thai cookbook.
I eat the stalks, and like TR, peel them first.
The only would be to check that the stalk doesn´t have a white, "woody" part in the middle, because that´s virtually inedible.

I´ve got a recipe somewhere for "Broccoli Stalk Salad". I think it came from a Thai cookbook.
I eat the stalks, and like TR, peel them first.
The only would be to check that the stalk doesn´t have a white, "woody" part in the middle, because that´s virtually inedible.
Its something of a delicacy I think and I have come across a few 'fine dining' recipes in the past which have used it.
I also have a recipe from an American vegetarian soup cookbook dating back to 1994 that tells me to use the broccoli stalks in the soup. it doesn't mention peeling them though iirc, but the soup is blended at the end. there's nothing fine dining about this book, mind you. but I do remember having to go to the library to look up what some out the ingredients where. what're northern beans, capsicum, zucchini & eggplant to name a few meant nothing to me back then.

Back
Top Bottom