Lettuce Wraps

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
2:31 AM
I am going to experiment with making lettuce wraps because I am tired of eating bread all of the time. I eat way to much of it, and it is time to figure out different ways to eat my food. I made ham wraps for my lunch today and they were basically just a wedge of cheddar cheese wrapped with ham and lettuce. What are some of the fillings you use for lettuce wraps? Also, how do you get the lettuce to wrap so nicely around the filling, my lettuce was cracking and breaking everywhere. It was really crunchy fresh iceberg lettuce.

One of my favorite Korean food is "samgyeopsal" using lettuce. First on top of the lettuce put one mint leaf and a piece of grilled pork that is dipped in sesame oil and little salt. Then put a small amount of chili pepper paste and then wrap it and eat it in just one bite. The first time I had tried it...it really melts in my mouth and it was so delicious!!!

I have seen lettuce wraps on a show to help reduce calories. I think they made tuna fish salad using the lettuce instead of bread. I have not tried a lettuce wrap myself but it does sound like a good alternative to using bread. I have replaced bread with tortilla shells.

i serve shredded confit of duck leg with honey and sesame seeds,in iceberg wraps as a little starter,
i have blanched off iceburg and wrapped up halibut in it and steamed it
and have wrapped peeled king prawns in sea lettuce
so there are many ways to wrap food in leaves

I do not recommend using iceberg lettuce to make lettuce wraps as they tend to make the filling taste watered down. I think it would be much better to use a lettuce that has a little more flavor to it like romaine or something like that.

I am going to experiment with making lettuce wraps because I am tired of eating bread all of the time. I eat way to much of it, and it is time to figure out different ways to eat my food. I made ham wraps for my lunch today and they were basically just a wedge of cheddar cheese wrapped with ham and lettuce. What are some of the fillings you use for lettuce wraps? Also, how do you get the lettuce to wrap so nicely around the filling, my lettuce was cracking and breaking everywhere. It was really crunchy fresh iceberg lettuce.

Cos and romaine are the 2 we tend to use.

Anything Asian. Honestly. I've found using shredded meats (chicken/pork/beef/lamb) work well also mainly because you get some meat in every bite. Try cutting your veggies lengthwise. Here's a great article with recipe idea & types of lettuces you can use.

Thanks JoanMcWench, there are 29 recipes in the article you linked and they all look so yummy. I am really trying to get some bread out of my life because I eat way too much of the stuff, and it is important to make things that I will look forward to eating so that I do not go back to my old ways. These recipes are deffinately worth experimenting with!

I am not tired of bread but I should be. I see it and I have to eat it. I was just about to direct you to a link and noticed JoanMcWench already shared it. I love a lot of the recipes shared there. I immediately zoomed in on the bacon and radish one which seemed simple enough.

I just got to the point in which I am sick of eating bread with every lunch item and I want to experiment with other ingredients that can be used as wraps. Lettuce seems like the most obvious choice because the leaves are big and taste fresh when you eat them. I am particularly fond of iceberg leaves.

I often have lettuce wraps for lunch. I really like them much better then using bread or wraps. They keep quite well too. They are also much better for you then eating so much bread. I usually use iceberg lettuce but have experienced with a few others but iceberg has been my favorite.

I just got to the point in which I am sick of eating bread with every lunch item and I want to experiment with other ingredients that can be used as wraps. Lettuce seems like the most obvious choice because the leaves are big and taste fresh when you eat them. I am particularly fond of iceberg leaves.

I get that. This week I spent a lot of time in the mall working and while I generally don't like to eat there having seen some of the same things for more than twenty years I found myself repeating I don't want any bread. There was this sandwich and the other sandwich, all bread related. Bread seems to follow me and I ought to shun it. Interestingly it's also the time I have decided to make my own. Making your own bread and not eating it seems a little tricky for me. We'll see.
Someone mentioned the iceberg lettuce which is not going to work well for a wrap in my opinion. Romaine seems ideal.

Reactions: L_B
The new thing near me is using wasabi leaves to roll food in such as sushi dishes and much more ,
Wasabi is being grown in the watercress beds near me

I like my lettuce wraps really spicy like they do in Korea. A little kimchi, spicy sauce and BBQ beef will taste really good with it. I also add some onions and cheese for my family who doesn't like spicy food, they prepare it themselves so they have a choice of ingredients.

I've tried making lettuce wraps on my own, and they came out quite good, but I could never really get full off of them. Plus buying so much lettuce regularly can get costly. Iceberg is cheap, but not really ideal for wraps as others have noted. You probably want to try some Bib Lettuce instead, which breaks off into nice individual cup shaped leaves which are easy to fill and eat like a taco.

It's not that hard to make a ground pork filling similar to PF Chang's popular appetizer. You can find many copycat recipes on the web for it. Otherwise, I sometimes like to take cooked shrimp and chop it up into smaller pieces and toss it with some cocktail sauce, and eat those in lettuce cups.

Back
Top Bottom