LIDL El Tequito canned chilli con carne

Local time
5:39 PM
Website
www.helium.com
Okay, I'll always cook from scratch if I can, but sometimes you just can't. If I'm on the move in the motor home, or if guests descend all of a sudden, I'll reach for a can of LIDL chilli con carne. The 800g can will feed 3 - 4 people comfortably, and it's low in saturated fat. At £1.79 (1.99 Euro) it's a good storecupboard standby. I usually serve it with brown rice, or jacket potatoes and salad.

Have you tried this? Or can you recommend another ready to eat chilli con carne?

I've had it a few times, love it. I tend to have it on its own as its way too much food otherwise and still is good for 2 meals :)

How hot is it? I usually make my own with habanero peppers in a slow cooker. I often find tinned mass-produced stuff a bit bland. You must have good eyes by the way if you can read those Lidl labels :)

I'm a fan of both Lidl and chilli con carne, but I've never tried this. I don't know why, but meals from tins really freak me out! I'll go as far as spaghetti hoops or soup, but nothing else. I always buy my ingredients from Lidl though, so I can make a big batch of chilli quite cheaply. I freeze the leftovers then eat them another day. For some reason, chilli always tastes better when it's been frozen and reheated, in my opinion.

Haven't tried it yet but I'll keep it in mind. I love chili con carne and I usually do have a can or two in case of emergencies.

Hey - oldish thread I know - but I came accross this while googling the price of the product!

I'm doing a diet, attempting to get into good shape using only tinned grub, and I have to say this stuff is pretty decent!

I have to manipulate the nutrition quite specifically (hoping to attain a lean, muscular physique again) so I actually add in some cheap tinned corned beef to this chilli. You wouldn't even know it was there once cooked in, it tastes lovely!

Well worth the money! might I reccomend Lidl Coquette Beef Goulash, a little pricier at £2.75 (from memory) but for a 500g tin of what appears to be very decent and tender meat stew, I'm bot complaining as it fits my goals - but more importantly it tastes great!

Oh, if anyone is interested I'm doing it to raise awareness for Foodbanks in the UK, and also to raise some cash for The Trussell Trust who run a good chunk of em :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey - oldish thread I know - but I came accross this while googling the price of the product!

Oh, if anyone is interested I'm doing it to raise awareness for Foodbanks in the UK, and also to raise some cash for The Trussell Trust who run a good chunk of em :)

I think it's a great idea to support the Trussel Trust. I've not bought any canned meat products from Lidl, but I do buy big cans of new potatoes at 15p which is cheaper than buying them fresh and then cooking them.

Back
Top Bottom