LIDL' s veg box and other discounts

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
5:55 PM
This might only be relevant to people in the UK

LIDL supermarkets sell a bargain box of short dated fruit & vegetables for £1-50
They're available from early morning; not absolutely first thing as they need time to pick & sort their stock and make up the boxes, so say about 09-30 onwards, though, of course, they might sell out

The boxes are a decent size, and good value. In the last couple of boxes I have had, lettuce, onions, peppers, aubergines, apples, oranges, courgettes, beetroot, radishes, swede, potatoes, nectarines, tomatoes, cauliflower, sweetcorn cobs, pears, cucumbers, lemons, carrots, and probably a couple of things I've forgotten
I've listed them to show that there is quite a selection, it's not just a load of old spuds, thought it's pot luck on what there is
Some of them are a bit tired and need eating quickly, which is fair enough for the price; or soak them in cold water overnight

I'm told ALDI do something similar but I've yet to check it out

Iceland frozen food stores give a 10% discount to over 60s on Tuesdays, and that's on everything, right across the store - frozen, fresh, canned & packet, non food, including sale items
You need to take proof of age, I use my bus pass

Usually you need to be referred to food banks by a doctor, social worker, and the food is free, with some kind of rationing or restrictions
But there are also community shops where anyone can shop, usually the items are short dated or overstocks
At my local store you pay £5 per visit, and can choose 12 items - fresh, frozen, canned & packet, & non food; but they don't have regular stocks - recently they had so many tomatoes & onions they were giving them away but sometimes the choice is limited, it all depends on what the supermarkets & wholesalers have available

So by shopping around I have reduced my food bill but still eat well

I know there are other discount stores & suppliers, perhaps you could add to the list?

Back
Top Bottom