Light and fluffy frosting

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
6:32 PM
Does anyone know how to make the light and fluffy frosting that you get on cakes made at the bakery? I have never been able to find a recipe for it, and this is probably because I am not sure of the exact term for it. I would like to use it on my cakes at home, but have no idea how it is even made.

The best thing & only that I can think of might be to go with a type of meringue frosting.

It is usually made with whipped egg whites, simple syrup boiled almost to the hard candy stage and vanilla extract. The other one is the whipped cream frosting.

I rarely frost cakes. Too much frosting to have to eat! Which is why I very seldom eat wedding or birthday cakes, and if I do, it is only a small slice. :stop:

I know many bakeries use crisco in their frosting to make it hold up. This is why it tastes the way it does. I personally don't like it at all and would never recommend using and consuming crisco in even small quantities. Even though you get a good texture with that, it is better to use a recipe with real ingredients like butter or cream cheese.

Crisco, really? That is a heart attach waiting to happen. There are so many varieties of frosting out there that I get confused and don't know where to turn for ideas. I am just going to have to do a little more research.

Yeah, I forgot about that one!

Shortening CAN be used in making frosting, just like butter can. You just merely replacing one fat with the other one.
The proportions are probably still the same though. :wink: :stop:

My go-to recipe for frosting is:
1 stick of room temperature butter
2 cups confectioner sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk (if needed)
Beat butter and vanilla for 1-2 minutes
Slowly add confectioner sugar.

Back
Top Bottom