Light, flaky biscuits (help)

mjd

Veteran
Local time
5:37 PM
I am thawing a chuck roast for dinner for tomorrow. I want to try my hand at biscuits from scratch.

What is your favorite tried-n-true biscuit recipe?

Thanks in advance.

I reckon TastyReuben has the knack!

To clarify, these are biscuits in the American sense of the word. In the UK, biscuits are what are known as cookies in America.

Bland scones. :)

Yep. Sorry about that. What is the word for biscuits in the UK?

No apology needed. There is no word. We don't have a tradition of serving your style of biscuit with savoury dishes and gravy. Our scones do resemble your biscuits but they are usually served on there own with butter, jam etc. Or if they were savoury scones, they would simply be buttered.

And they are not bland TastyReuben :ninja:

I am thawing a chuck roast for dinner for tomorrow. I want to try my hand at biscuits from scratch.

What is your favorite tried-n-true biscuit recipe?

Thanks in advance.
You're going to love my biscuit recipe. It's easier than my pizza dough, and easier than those buns you like, and there's no yeast involved.

Three ingredients, here you go:

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

So that's self-rising flour, butter, and buttermilk. If you don't have self-rising flour, you can just add baking powder and salt to AP flour, and I know you know how to fake some buttermilk. I can't say, however, how those changes will affect this.

The key is to keep it cold and work it very little. I work in the butter and flour, then I put that in the freezer while the oven heats up, and then I get them together, cut, and on the baking sheet as quickly as possible.

I don't cut my biscuits with a round cutter, I poke tradition in the eye and cut them in squares with my bench scraper. Why? No scrapes to gather up, re-roll, and cut. Whack, whack, whack with the bench scraper, then they're ready to go.

This is a wet dough, so you'll need to keep the flour handy as you work it. I also let them touch during baking, then pull them apart for the last few minutes.

No apology needed. There is no word. We don't have a tradition of serving your style of biscuit with savoury dishes and gravy. Our scones do resemble your biscuits but they are usually served on there own with butter, jam etc. Or if they were savoury scones, they would simply be buttered.

And they are not bland TastyReuben :ninja:
To be clear, I was saying our biscuits are bland compared to your scones (or a scone in general), like you'd eat one of our biscuits and think, "That's a bit like a scone...but bland."

There are hilarious videos on YT of British people eating American biscuits and gravy for the first time. It's a killer. :laugh:

TastyReuben to the rescue again. Those look amazing!

The recipe yields 18 biscuits. I want to cook for four (2 lunches and 2 dinners) as I will share with my caregiver.

How many do you usually make for just you two?

Also, do I use a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) or a casserole dish?

TastyReuben to the rescue again. Those look amazing!

The recipe yields 18 biscuits. I want to cook for four (2 lunches and 2 dinners) as I will share with my caregiver.

How many do you usually make for just you two?

Also, do I use a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) or a casserole dish?
I always make a half-recipe, which actually works out to about six biscuits, depending on how I cut them.

I put down some parchment on a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet, then place them along the edge and touching. That helps them rise a bit (gives them something to climb).

I always make a half-recipe, which actually works out to about six biscuits, depending on how I cut them.

I put down some parchment on a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet, then place them along the edge and touching. That helps them rise a bit (gives them something to climb).

Brace yourself. This is probably a ridiculous question. ;-)

Are you cutting the dough into squares and letting them touch each other and the edge of the cookie sheet/jelly roll OR are you putting the dough on the sheet and then scoring it?

Brace yourself. This is probably a ridiculous question. ;-)

Are you cutting the dough into squares and letting them touch each other and the edge of the cookie sheet/jelly roll OR are you putting the dough on the sheet and then scoring it?
I cut them on the board and move them one by one to the pan. You could certainly do it the other way, I suppose, but it's probably just habit from when I used to cut biscuits with a round cutter, and from when I was making full batches.

You're going to love my biscuit recipe. It's easier than my pizza dough, and easier than those buns you like, and there's no yeast involved.

Three ingredients, here you go:

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits

So that's self-rising flour, butter, and buttermilk. If you don't have self-rising flour, you can just add baking powder and salt to AP flour, and I know you know how to fake some buttermilk. I can't say, however, how those changes will affect this.

The key is to keep it cold and work it very little. I work in the butter and flour, then I put that in the freezer while the oven heats up, and then I get them together, cut, and on the baking sheet as quickly as possible.

I don't cut my biscuits with a round cutter, I poke tradition in the eye and cut them in squares with my bench scraper. Why? No scrapes to gather up, re-roll, and cut. Whack, whack, whack with the bench scraper, then they're ready to go.

This is a wet dough, so you'll need to keep the flour handy as you work it. I also let them touch during baking, then pull them apart for the last few minutes.

I want to try the Southern Buttermilk Biscuits recipe!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom