Lime syrup / sauce

alexdonnelly

Local time
4:46 AM
Hi

I want to make a lime syrup / sauce to drizzle on top of a panna cotta or a cheesecake.

I've made one using lime juice and sugar and reducing it.
its not a very nice colour how do I make it green, do I add a food colouring or have I made syrup wrong?

if a food colouring is required, any recommendations?

thanks
Alex

Hi @alexdonnelly and welcome to CookingBites.

Lime syrup is not really going to look green - it often looks a bit like this!

14543736010_6864b1ba09_o.jpg

Adding green colouring will probably make it look either garish or murky. The key to getting a green colour is to use a fresh green herb or even shredded cucumber when you make the the syrup. Steep the green leaves or cucumber in the syrup and then strain through a sieve.

Hi @alexdonnelly and welcome to CookingBites.

Lime syrup is not really going to look green - it often looks a bit like this!

View attachment 23295

Adding green colouring will probably make it look either garish or murky. The key to getting a green colour is to use a fresh green herb or even shredded cucumber when you make the the syrup. Steep the green leaves or cucumber in the syrup and then strain through a sieve.

Hi Thanks for your message
Sorry not a huge cook so a bit lost
When you say a green herb could you give me an example.
So I put the herb or cucumber in with lime and sugar and boil and simmer?
Is its best to leave skin on cucumber?

thanks
alex

Hi Thanks for your message
Sorry not a huge cook so a bit lost
When you say a green herb could you give me an example.
So I put the herb or cucumber in with lime and sugar and boil and simmer?
Is its best to leave skin on cucumber?

thanks
alex

You leave the skin on the cucumber and chop up the cucumber or grate it. I'll post a recipe later.

Aplologies @alexdonnelly - I just spent a few hours trying to make green lime syrup and failed miserably. I used cucumber - then I tried green grapes and kiwi, then I tried parsley. Raw parsley blitzed with lime juice (and sieved) gives a vivid green but its not a syrup. I have a feeling it will go dull if I boil it up with sugar to make a syrup!

I was convinced I'd made green lime syrup before using cucumber but I must be mistaken. I've run out of steam today but I might try to turn the parsley lime mix into syrup tomorrow somehow.

Any ideas @medtran49 or is the easiest thing to do to add green food colouring?!

I think adding food coloring, though I would use gel instead of liquid because you'll get more color with less product with the gel than the liquid. Just be careful how much you add at a time. You can always add more if the color is not to your liking, but you can't take it away. I would add the gel while the mixture is still warm, but not hot. It should dissolve on its own, but, if not, put it in a blender or use an immersion blender.

Back
Top Bottom