Liquid Diets

Enimrac

Veteran
Local time
7:27 AM
Has anyone tried any liquid diets? By which I mean diets where all you do is drink fluids and shakes for about a week or so. It seems to be a popular thing to do out here in Los Angeles where I live, and I know someone who has done it. It sounds like complete insanity to me though:scratchhead: Common sense tells me that'll make for all sorts of problems with your digestive and immune system, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have any experiences with this sort of thing?

I've only done that when something like my tooth hurts too much for me to chew, or I've got a really bad cold sore. Fortunately I've never broken my mouth or jaw or anything that would force me to keep that up for months. A week is all right.

I'd say that it isn't bad, fruit shakes and creamy milks would still have vitamins and proteins so I wouldn't consider it a threat to the immune system. Might not even be that bad for the digestive system, since these foods still have solids.

But I don't see any real huge benefit, either, and don't see why that would really be preferable. I suppose only time will tell, time and studying people who follow this diet, if there are any significant health risks or benefits.

I think it depends on what the objective is tbh. By which I mean
  1. are you doing it for the sake of doing it?
  2. are you doing it to lose weight (so something like slimfast milkshake twice a day as a meal replacement and a balanced evening meal)?
  3. are you doing it to cleanse your system and believe that living off something like a cabbage infusion for a week will actually help your body?
If you are needing help loosing weight, then number 2 I have done and found it effective (at least until I developed an allergy to dairy products). It start me loosing weight in the circumstances I found myself in at the time (living out of hotels and restaurants or worse still service stations whilst away from home for the entire week due to work).

I can't say that replacing every meal with a liquid one is going to be good for you. I, personally, don't believe that it would be and I know the effect that one of my medical conditions has on me when it prevents me from eating anything and drinking anything other than water for 2 or 3 days.

But if the shake has enough fibre, protein, nutrients & minerals in it to meet what the body needs on a daily basis, I would guess the only thing you would miss is chewing and something different every meal. Without know what 'diet' shake replacement it is though, it is very hard to comment accurately or advise.

There's no evidence of any health benefit and increasing evidence that juicing is harmful and can mask eating disorders.

There was a large scale study of nurses last year by Harvard School of public health which showed drinking just three cups of juice a week increased diabetes risk, whilst eating whole fruit lowers it.

This month the NHS body Public Health England warned that juice consumption be limited to 150ml a day and always accompanied by food.

Remember folks - juice is a drink, not a meal.

Well, I'd never even think of trying this. It just seems ridiculous to me that you would do this, when you can be completely fine by just eating normal food and doing a bit of sports every now and then.

I've actually tried an all liquid diet for 5 days for medical reasons, actually medical research on my body because of my migraines. My body didn't adjust well and let's just say migraines were worse then what they already were. I don't think I'd ever try it again.

Has anyone tried any liquid diets? By which I mean diets where all you do is drink fluids and shakes for about a week or so. It seems to be a popular thing to do out here in Los Angeles where I live, and I know someone who has done it. It sounds like complete insanity to me though:scratchhead: Common sense tells me that'll make for all sorts of problems with your digestive and immune system, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone have any experiences with this sort of thing?
yes I have and I must say for a detox method this is great! Overall its great for your body. It takes some getting use to at first, but once you get past the first few days, it gets easier.

Back
Top Bottom