Liver cooking techniques

lissetetiff

Veteran
Local time
1:32 PM
Someone told me that I should avoid using tomatoes and other vegetables when frying liver meat, and only use onions. How credible is this cooking advice because it makes no sense to me, although I am new to the whole cooking world?

Liver and onions is a classic dish. Toss the liver in flour and fry with onion slices. To be honest, I have never heard of cooking liver with tomatoes or other vegetables. I don't fancy liver and tomatoes. :sick:

Quick in a pan or slow in the oven ,if I eat liver I eat calves liver,clean lobe trim skin off and slice ,in a hot pan a little butter fry one side to seal it off,turn it over and wait to the blood appears on the surface spin it over rest and serve ,it will be medium,and soft

Quick in a pan or slow in the oven ,if I eat liver I eat calves liver,clean lobe trim skin off and slice ,in a hot pan a little butter fry one side to seal it off,turn it over and wait to the blood appears on the surface spin it over rest and serve ,it will be medium,and soft
Exactly how I'd do it. Liver has a strong iron flavour and needs robust partners to complement it. It pairs well with the salty taste of bacon (which is also fatty, whereas liver is very low fat). Onions work because their sweetness contrasts well with liver's bitter savoury flavour. You can certainly cook liver with tomatoes but I think it really needs something else as well, if you are going to do that. There's a recipe here: http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5631/liver-and-onions.aspx

As for vegetables, it would depend on which vegetables. Liver with a thick roasted onion sauce and mashed potatoes is delicious!

I think this might have something to do with the iron in it, but I don't know that they are correct. I have heard that you should not cook tomatoes in a cast iron skillet, so perhaps this idea is related, as liver has a lot to of iron.

Back
Top Bottom