• Water, to taste
  • Winegar, a tablespoon, or dry white wine – enough to blend
  • Evoo – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 tbsp
  • Unsalted butter, 30 g
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Fresh sage leaves, a couple – optional
Method

Tip
: About liver cooking, the first tip to follow is to avoid avoiding excessively long cooking : the particular consistency of the liver, so soft and tender from raw, would tend to harden excessively with a too much long cooking.
When you buy the liver and the offals in general, freshness is essential, look for the liver with a bright bloody brown-red color, which is shiny and not dry to the eye.
And please, don’t rinse the liver under the running water before cooking it…
Cut the onions into thin slices – do not chop them.

Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan along with the butter, add onion slices and let them brown in the pan over low heat and stir occasionally.

Tips: to prevent them from drying out, you can add a bit of water, not too much anyway: they should not be brothy, just soft.
As soon as they are slightly soft, turn up the heat and pour a tablespoon of winegar, let it evaporate for at least 2 or 3 minutes and then reduce the heat and continue to cook for about 15-20 minutes.

Now add liver strips to the pan with the onions. If you want you can also add some leaves of sage. Cook a few minutes on each side.

Tips: mind to this phase because, as explained at the beginning of the recipe, the cooking of the liver must be fast, no more than 5 minutes.
Once ready, season with salt and pepper and serve the dish immediately.

Calves' liver is delicious - and rather expensive here. This recipe sounds lovely - I'm assuming the liver is cooked so its still pink inside, even a little rare? The use of vinegar here reminds me of a liver recipe I used to cook,, called Iscas which I think is Portuguese (although from memory I think the liver is marinated).

Calves' liver is delicious - and rather expensive here. This recipe sounds lovely - I'm assuming the liver is cooked so its still pink inside, even a little rare? The use of vinegar here reminds me of a liver recipe I used to cook,, called Iscas which I think is Portuguese (although from memory I think the liver is marinated).

Right, there is a Portuguese dish called Iscas that involves marinating- although is different from this marinating.
The liver is cooked so it’s still a little bit pink inside, not proper rare...

Back
Top Bottom