Loaf Pans

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
4:39 PM
Since I made bread today and had to get my loaf pans out, thought I’d take a pic or three and see what others have:

IMG_8035.jpeg

This one was a birthday gift, probably from 1993 or 1994, from MrsT’s sister, who was living not too terribly far from the pottery works.

IMG_8036.jpeg

This one I haven’t had long, but it was my mom’s. I snagged it from her house when she moved into assisted living.

IMG_8037.jpeg

This is a Romertopf clay baker, one of those “I didn’t know what to get you” gifts, from MrsT, for Christmas a couple of years ago.

The thing is…it’s designed for whopper dough recipes, starting around 7 cups or so of flour, and I don’t make loaves that big any more. I think ive used it once.

Since I made bread today and had to get my loaf pans out, thought I’d take a pic or three and see what others have:

View attachment 112306
This one was a birthday gift, probably from 1993 or 1994, from MrsT’s sister, who was living not too terribly far from the pottery works.

View attachment 112307
This one I haven’t had long, but it was my mom’s. I snagged it from her house when she moved into assisted living.

View attachment 112308
This is a Romertopf clay baker, one of those “I didn’t know what to get you” gifts, from MrsT, for Christmas a couple of years ago.

The thing is…it’s designed for whopper dough recipes, starting around 7 cups or so of flour, and I don’t make loaves that big any more. I think ive used it once.
I remember when you got that last one! It boggled my mind even back then. I'll drag mine out in a few days and snap a photo. I've nothing as cool as yours but they work.

In fact I don't have any loaf pans - all the bread I've ever made is shaped by hand or using a banaton.
Interesting. Nearly all the bread I make is for sandwiches, so I prefer the shape a loaf pan gives for that.

The one pan I still would like to have is a Pullman loaf pan, so I can create perfectly rectangular sandwich loaves.

I've got two loaf pans; one is metal (probably aluminium) and the other is silicon.
My very limited experience tells me that the silicon is just not right. The loaf doesn't rise as much and doesnt develop the crust I'd like

I've got two loaf pans; one is metal (probably aluminium) and the other is silicon.
My very limited experience tells me that the silicon is just not right. The loaf doesn't rise as much and doesnt develop the crust I'd like
I use my silicone loaf pan for baking banana bread.

I have 2 plain pyrex loaf pans. I think I asked for them for my birthday one year - I’d recently gotten married, had neglected put loaf pans on the registry, and had a hankering for some chocolate zucchini bread!

Interesting. Nearly all the bread I make is for sandwiches, so I prefer the shape a loaf pan gives for that.

I rarely make sandwiches but if I do I rather like making them from French stick shaped bread or round, oblong shapes etc. With larger diameter parts of round loaves I use slices cut in half to make each sandwich.

I rarely make sandwiches but if I do…
I use bread mainly for two things; sandwiches and toast.

Do you have other things (besides just eating as-is) that you use your bread for? Cheese/Beans/Something else on toast, maybe?

Back
Top Bottom