Long oven gloves

fantastic food

Veteran
Local time
4:25 AM
Most oven gloves barely cover more than pot holders, and only just manage to reach about 10cm up your arm. My mum and I used to burn our arms close to the elbow a lot, especially when we reached deep into the oven, or accidentally brushed against the hot door. To solve this problem, I made a really long glove that nearly reached the elbow, and the problem was solved. We wanted to buy another pair, but we couldn't find any long ones in stores. Why aren't there more longer gloves out there? Would you find them useful or not?

Long oven gloves would definitely be better than the short ones, in my opinion. The short ones that I use now and that we see more often in the stores, are okay for dealing with stove top pots, moving them around, etc., or for hot dishes. However, when going into the oven, I too have been burnt on a couple of occasions when my hand accidentally brushed against the side of the oven door. I can't remember if I have ever seen long ones in stores. If I did see them, it would have to be on very rare occasions.

Oh gosh. I've given up on the concept of oven gloves entirely and resigned myself to the battle scars which stripe my forearms.

The bakers in the village we visit in France regularly ,wear elbow length leather gauntlets but not aware they have a more specific name,a lot of bakers refer to their large oven clothes as oven tammies,they have more specific clothes or gloves as the heat in deck ovens is more direct with the trays on a base not a shelf

This is interesting. I have seen a lot of gloves in my time and have bought a decent amount over the years but I have never seen long kitchen gloves until I just Googled it. Had I seen them I feel sure I would have invested in a pair. I would also have picked up some for a girlfriend who's always entertaining and always burning her hands.

When we bought an oven last year - it is surprising that we never had an oven before - I bought 2 oven gloves but they are both short gloves. Last night, our dinner was grilled chicken that we cooked in the oven griller. Since the oven was very hot, I instructed that maid to pull out the metal plate with the use of the oven gloves. At least, our housemaid is still young and she has the dexterity unlike me who can be burned accidentally.

We all knew the importance of long oven gloves that will protect our upper arms to be burn from the heat even if you stretch them inside the oven. I had one set of long oven gloves at home and I may say that it had been very useful in my cooking and baking needs.

Back
Top Bottom