Looking for kid friendly recipes + New ideas to try

Good call on getting them in on the cooking. My son will make salad. Gets him prepped for if he ever moves out as well.
I like the "if he ever moves out" part. My 33 year old son is still living at home...sort of. He has a wing of his own at our house with his own kitchen and such. After he finished college he stayed here and we put up a wall between his side and ours. He does pay some rent, though. And we do have the space.

I meant to ask, how many children do you have and what are their ages? Their tastes are going to change pretty regularly, and sometimes they will tell you they don't like something but then two days later they do. That usually means, "I am not in the mood," LOL. Just go with the flow somewhat, but definitely don't cater to whims too often! You do have to pick and choose your battles or you will become exhausted.

If you are concerned about calories from frying, have you thought about getting an air fryer? I love my air fryer. Just don't make the mistake of getting one that's too small or you will end up buying a bigger one. It's so easy, you just spritz some oil on the outside of the food item and air fry it, comes out crisp and delicious.

Also, if they like spaghetti and will eat that regularly, you can make sauce (I make mine in the crockpot) in large amounts and then freeze it into batches. Just because they are eating it doesn't mean you have to, but if it's one less thing for you to cook, you can focus more on yourself. And also that might make them curious about what you are eating and they might want to try a bite...and they might like it!

With the lasagna, did you try telling them it's just spaghetti with a different kind of noodle and some extra cheese? Are you making it from scratch or buying store premade? My kids liked Stouffer's or similar just fine, so after making it a few times and getting a "there's too much cheese" or similar complaint, I quit making it for a long time, until they were in their late teens and could appreciate it more. Throwing a frozen lasagna in the oven and making some garlic bread and salad is so much easier.
Im pretty laxidazy that way. If they want something healthy, I dont mind making multiple dishes. We do "Taco Tuesday" and "Funday Friday" but one didn't like Tacos and Friday Friday they get to pick a treat. Lately daughter has been picking breakfast sandwiches. Store bought. Cause Fried eggs on an english muffin is so different at home....Im thinking i should just recycle the wrapper and wrap my cooking in it. Shed never know!!

Here's my homemade egg McMuffins. Hubby says that they are better than McDonald's by far and they are super easy to make!

It takes about 5 minutes to make these. I just split the English muffin and put it in the toaster. While that's toasting, I lightly grease a small cup that is about the same circumference as the English muffin, then scramble an egg with a dash of heavy cream (not really necessary though), salt, and pepper (I just scramble it in the same cup I am cooking it in). I microwave that for 30 seconds (should still be slightly undercooked), then put the slice of yellow cheese and a slice of Canadian bacon on it and microwave for another 30 seconds. The muffin should be toasted by then. Assemble and eat.
1642801151871.png

1642801175343.png

Im pretty laxidazy that way. If they want something healthy, I dont mind making multiple dishes. We do "Taco Tuesday" and "Funday Friday" but one didn't like Tacos and Friday Friday they get to pick a treat. Lately daughter has been picking breakfast sandwiches. Store bought. Cause Fried eggs on an english muffin is so different at home....Im thinking i should just recycle the wrapper and wrap my cooking in it. Shed never know!!
Maybe you could get your local McDonald's to sell you some wrappers, LOL. I imagine that they would be fairly inexpensive?

Back
Top Bottom