Looking for quick soup recipes

Food4thought

Veteran
Local time
11:33 PM
In the cold weather I often feel like having a quick bowl or mug of hot soup. I don't buy much canned or instant soup because most of them contain too much sugar, salt, fats and starch.

I have had some success making my own quick spicy tomato or herby tomato soup, but I would like to know if there are any other soups I could make which do not require a long list of ingredients or take an hour to prepare and cook.

Broccoli and blue cheese.

Sweat a small onion in butter
Add a head of broccoli and just enough chicken or veg stock to barely cover.
Simmer until the broccoli is cooked.
Blend until smooth adding a little milk to get the tight thickness.
Crumble in a little blue cheese whilst blending to taste.
Return to the heat and season as required.

Leek and potato
Onion and potato
Onion
Sweet potato

Just to name a few.
All are pretty much similar. Fry and onion (or in the case of onion soup several), add the other chopped veg, fry a little more, as the stock, simmer to cooked. Season and blend/liquidise as required. With the leek and potato, just switch out the onion for leeks.
If you want to add a little milk or cream to make a creamy version.

spicy butternut squash soup

salute the squash with some onions, add some stock and simmer, puree, add some spices, cumin and paprika work, also turmeric

How do yo make the spicy or herb-y tomato soup? That sounds good.

The quickest way to make soup quickly is to save all your vegetable scraps for the week and then make a stock. You can freeze the stock and have it on hand, and then when you want a quick soup, you can just add some lightly steamed vegetables, puree, shrimp, nori, or whatever ingredients you want. It's quick, convenient, and easy-peasy.

Tomato based soups are always quick and easy as well as tasty.
I usually make some stock with vegetable peels then use that with my tomato soup!
It's a simple one really all you need are onions, tomatoes, seasoning, some garlic and any other vegetable you might love(to jazz it up a little). Fry the vegetables together seasoning them as you do but not the tomatoes. Once your vegetables are alright then you get your stock in there, let it simmer for a bit then grate the tomatoes in. Delicious!

One thing that can cut down your cooking time when making soup, and I also think produces a less starchy soup, is to simply microwave any pasta you may be putting into it. It saves the step of waiting for a pot of water to come to a boil plus the cooking time of the pasta. So in other words instead of waiting 10-15 minutes for the water to boil, plus another 10 minutes for the pasta to cook, you can just throw the pasta in a microwave safe bowl and top it with a couple inches of water and nuke it for about 12 minutes, and it will be done. This also prevents the pasta from becoming overcooked when making it in a soup.

Minestrone comes together pretty quickly, just brown some ground beef in a pot with some olive oil, throw a jar of home made chicken stock and home made marinara sauce (or use store bought), some frozen mixed veggies, a can of beans and some small pasta (pre-cooked) such as Ditalini, and bring it all to a boil and let it simmer for a bit. It can be done in less than 30 min.

I was thinking about trying to make a home made cabbage soup today in my pressure cooker, I will post the results if I do and it comes out ok.

I save my pasta or rice and veggies during the week then add a broth to make my quick soup.

Butternut squash and ginger
Sweat the peeled squash with onion and fresh peeled and grated ginger, add milk or veg stock for the vegan comunity , Cook till soft and liquidise , I would also pass it , re season add cream to finish if that's your thing , great hot or cold

I made a realy good soup last night. It was a clean out the frig kind of soup and I just throw things in so, I'll see if I can recall it. It was very good and very filling. My 15 year old son could only eat half a bowl of soup and half a cheese sandwhich.

First, I made this vegetable stock, but substituted sage for the thyme because that's what was available in my garden. Then, I heated about 2-3 tbsp. olive oil on med.-high and cooked about 1 1/2 cups of Mirepoix until the onions were translusent. In this case, the Mirepoix ended up being off ratio, again because that's what was available. It was 1/4 of a large onion (red was what I had; yellow is better), 2 stalks of celery, and 2 1/2 carrots (the 9 yr old stole the other half). All of it was chopped very small - about 1/4" pieces. To this, I added 6 cups of the vegie stock and 1/2 cup of uncooked white rice (not instant) - this cooked 15 min. after bringing it to a boil and then reducing the temp to a slow simmer. Next, I added 2 diced and cooked boneless, skinless chicken breats (from an other night), a can of crappy diced potatoes and a lot of salt and pepper (maybe 3/4 tsp salt - because I forgot to salt the stock - and the same of pepper, which was a tad much). After it all reheated, I add 1/2 cup of cream and heated it through again.

It was really easy and really quick, as from scratch things go.

Back
Top Bottom