Loose tea or tea bags - which do you prefer?

Local time
3:48 AM
Years ago we used to draw loose tea leaves in a tea kettle and then strain the tea off into a teapot when we figured it was strong enough. Tea bags were not as popular in those days, but this is what we use now on a regular basis. However, only yesterday a friend brought some loose tea for us which I gladly accepted. I had not used this in years.

When it comes to the flavour of the tea, do you find that loose tea has a stronger and better flavour than the one in the bags? I have found this to be so. However, it is much more convenient and quicker to use tea bags, since no straining of leaves is necessary.

Which one do you prefer, or do you alternate between the two?

I prefer the convenience of tea bags - but I find the taste is often better from loose leaf, like you said.

I keep both in my house, always - but I'll usually only have a loose leaf cup maybe once or twice a week, whereas a teabag cup of tea is an almost daily occurrence.

Convenience wins, and its tea bags for me.
In my defence I'm also the only tea drinker.

Tea bags all the way. No mess. No fuss. Mr WD is the only tea drinker in my house and doesn't like tea leaves either.

Tea leaves , as i don't drink that much tea the tea I do drink is expensive ,from a tea blender in Winchester

Either. But I hate the mess of loose leaves. Mainly I drink bog standard 'builder's tea', strong as it can be. Generally P.G.Tips but sometimes Yorkshire (both from tea bags). Occasionally I like a really special tea and will then brew the leaves.

leaves but I tend to go with the herbal option and rather like peppermint or (plain) mint and generally pull it out of the garden and chop it into the cafetiere so bags would be rather difficult! I am considering changing over to one of these though.

812baro3M0L__SL1500_.jpg

Cold Tay!
It's getting popular in the UK again,liptons gave it a large campaign a few years back.i quite like it ,peach and lemon,also Costa Make a nice lemon iced tea to order pouring the tea over ice ,now that's good!

Either. But I hate the mess of loose leaves. Mainly I drink bog standard 'builder's tea', strong as it can be. Generally P.G.Tips but sometimes Yorkshire (both from tea bags). Occasionally I like a really special tea and will then brew the leaves.
+1 for that - strong brown and hot but I have to admit that we have gone over to the dark side and use tea bags now.

I prefer the loose leaf tea. I have a tea ball which is kind of like a little metal tea bag that I put the tea leaves in then steep. I can get a whole lot more tea for my money with the loose leaf tea than with tea bags because you have to pay for all the material in the tea bag as well as the labor to put it in there and package them up. Bulk tea is actually pretty cheap when you calculate it by the tea pot or cup.

I have never used losses tea so I guess i would have to go with tea bags. I usually drink Green Tea. It is my favorite choice for tea. I am not even sure how loose tea is made or how you use it. I will have to check it out.

I have never used losses tea so I guess i would have to go with tea bags. I usually drink Green Tea. It is my favorite choice for tea. I am not even sure how loose tea is made or how you use it. I will have to check it out.
Measured out using a teaspoon, normally into a teapot. But often into the cup itself or via a tea strainer.

I have only ever drunk a cup of tea made from loose tea and nearly gagged on the tea at the bottom of the cup. I think it is meant to be strained, but it wasn't. I always make tea from bags, but I am more of a coffee drinker really.

Back
Top Bottom