Lost Browser Proxy Server and Suddenly Bombarded by CookingBites Advertisements

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
2:43 AM
Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The number of advertisement`s and popup adds at unusual times like just clicking a post, is absolutely annoying and unbearable.

I lost my browser proxy server and suddenly, I am seeing all that noise for the first time. Is there a way to eliminate it with a CookingBites setup checkbox somewhere?

Not that I could see anywhere. Is it only on CB or is it happening with other websites as well? I think you should be able to fix it on your end through your settings.

I've never noticed ads or popups on CB before and I have 3 computers plus I also use my phone to visit CB. Very odd.

In general, you don't need a proxy server to avoid ads. You need to install an ad blocker. I don't get any ads at all and I'm not using a proxy server. I use this one: AdBlock

In general, you don't need a proxy server to avoid ads. You need to install an ad blocker. I don't get any ads at all and I'm not using a proxy server. I use this one: AdBlock
I don't have an ad blocker and I don't see ads. I have popups and ads blocked through my Google settings.

This shouldn't happen if you are logged in as a member. You shouldn't see any adverts at all. So I'm at a loss to explain it. Any ideas TastyReuben or SatNavSaysStraightOn?

You could try logging out of the forum and then in again, if you haven't already done so.

Whether I log in fresh or not, I still see all those adverts. They are enough to scare new members away.

Whether I log in fresh or not, I still see all those adverts. They are enough to scare new members away.
I doubt any new members see them if they have ads and popups blocked in their computer settings. I have only been a member here for less than 2 years and I never once saw any.

What browser do you use?

There are no adverts for CookingBites when you are logged in, period. And even when not logged in there are no pop ups period. The site doesn't use or need a proxy server, but we do use a Cloudflare caching service to increase speed to the southern hemisphere.

There are adverts for non members. I can't afford to get rid of the advertising to non members because it brings in over half the revenue this site makes and even with them it doesn't meet half the cost of the overheads.

I would suggest that you check you are logged in, but you can't post here unless you are, which leaves only one conclusion.

I would suggest you check you device for spyware, ransomware and viruses. They are usually the cause of popup boxes and overwhelming adverts and I expect that they are the cause.

I did some problem elimination testing by logging in to CB from another computer and the problem is not occurring on the other computer.

The proxy server does screen unwanted stuff.

Back
Top Bottom