Recipe Lovers' Spiced Carrots

cookieee

Local time
2:46 AM
Lovers' Spiced Carrots

"The combination of cumin, black pepper and honey is thought to be an aphrodisiac in some African countries.

3 TB. pine nuts
1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
16 carrots (1 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut into 1/4" julienne
2 TB. sesame seeds
1/4 cup honey
4 TB freshly squeezed lemon juice
12 black olives, chopped
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 TB. chopped fresh cilantro
2 TB. chopped fresh mint
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 cup olive oil

Prepare grill, preheat to 350F. Toast pine nuts in skillet until golden brown. Do the same with cumin seeds. Then grind seeds into a powder

In a large bowl, combine the pine nuts, ground cumin, carrots, sesame seeds, honey, lemon juice, olives, pepper, 1 TB. of the cilantro, and the mint. Add salt and mix well.

Pour the olive oil into a wide shallow baking pan, large enough to hold the carrots in one layer, add the carrot mixture and turn to coat them in oil. Transfer the baking pan to the grill rack over direct heat. Lower the grill lid and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and golden brown, gently shaking the pan several times for even heating.

Transfer the carrots and their sauce to a wide, flat serving dish and garnish with the remaining cilantro. Serves 4 to 6

Source: The Best Barbecue on Earth - Rick Browne 2008

A rather unusual recipe. Carrots and honey, I've come across before. Carrots and cumin are good together. But carrots with honey, cumin and black olives I've never heard of before! It sounds as if its Moroccan influenced perhaps. Sweet carrots, earthy cumin, bitter olives - I can see it working. Is this also an entry for the Cookingbites Recipe Challenge? If so it needs tagging and linking back to that thread...

Back
Top Bottom