Low Acid orange juice

foodterminology

Veteran
Local time
12:56 PM
Is there an orange juice product that might be considered the lowest in acid? It seems to have something to do with the pulp. Thank you.

Here's one that seems to get good reviews. But I can't see how they can alter the acidity of a "natural product".
L-A.jpeg

It's interesting reading about this because avoid reflux is a problem I have suffered from ever since i had to stop having dairy products.

Reading up suggests that grapefruit and orange juice are just about the worst to drink.
Apple juice is better
Peach juice and pear juice are the best to have it you want low acidity.

Taken from http://www.livestrong.com/article/461404-list-of-non-acidic-juices/
I've snipped it a touch.

Please note that a pH of 7 is not considered to be acidic. It is neutral and the only pH that is.

If you're plagued with heartburn, you may notice that drinking orange or grapefruit juice makes it worse. That's because the acidity in the juice may irritate the soft tissue that lines your esophagus. Drinking nonacidic juices may help ease your discomfort while satisfying your need for a sweetened beverage.
Acidity of food is measured in pH. A pH of 7 or less is considered acidic, which means all juice is acidic, but some is better-tolerated than others. For reference, citrus fruits such as lemon juice has a pH of 2.0 to 2.6, grapefruit a pH of 3 to 3.8 and orange juice a pH of 3.3 to 4.2, while apple juice has a pH of 3.4 to 4 and milk a pH of 6.3 to 6.6. Acidity in juice creates a sour taste, though the sourness is often offset by the natural sugar in juice.
Although apple juice has a low pH, it is considered a less-acidic juice and tends to be better-tolerated by those with digestive issues such as reflux disease, according to Jackson-Siegelbaum Gastroenterology. One cup of unsweetened apple juice has 114 calories and 28 grams of carbohydrates and is protein- and fat-free. The juice is not a significant source of any vitamins or minerals, but it can help you meet your daily vitamin C, potassium and manganese needs.
Peaches have about the same pH level as apples, ranging from 3.3 to 4, but are also considered less acidic and better tolerated. Peach juice is higher in calories and carbs than apple juice, with 160 calories and 38 grams of carbs per cup, and is also protein- and fat-free. Some brands may be fortified with vitamin C, helping you meet 100 percent of the daily value per serving

Here's one that seems to get good reviews. But I can't see how they can alter the acidity of a "natural product".
View attachment 3020
I guess, given that most of the low acid options are pulp free, that different parts of the fruit contain different acidity levels and by extracting the juice and leaving behind the pulp, it is the pulp that is more acidic. How much more acidic is a different matter entirely though. Also I guess some fruit varieties are probably less acidic than others, so careful selection of those varieties would also help.

I guess, given that most of the low acid options are pulp free, that different parts of the fruit contain different acidity levels and by extracting the juice and leaving behind the pulp, it is the pulp that is more acidic. How much more acidic is a different matter entirely though. Also I guess some fruit varieties are probably less acidic than others, so careful selection of those varieties would also help.
Possible, but another "low acid" version when put to the litmus test was found to be just as acidic as the standard version.

The difference, the price.

Possible, but another "low acid" version when put to the litmus test was found to be just as acidic as the standard version.

The difference, the price.
I saw that, but litmus paper is not that accurate, and you only need to be 0.1 of a pH :)confused:at terminology) to make that claim. It is much better to measure it in a lab with a probe. It was also about a decade ago if i recall!

Back
Top Bottom