Low Carb Diet

My GP suggested I cut my carbs as I feel exhausted and fatigued all the time

I suppose I'd ask why your GP thinks a low carb diet would help this. I mean, there are a so many reasons why you might feel tired. I did find this which might explain it:
When you consume carbs, your blood sugar level is raised and you receive a burst of energy. Your body then releases insulin to lower your blood sugar, and this process is called reactive hypoglycemia. This is what causes you to feel tired after eating carbs, though is more of an issue with simple carbohydrates.

5 Reasons Why You Feel Extreme Fatigue After Eating Carbshttps://www.gym-pact.com › Nutrition

I suppose I'd ask why your GP thinks a low carb diet would help this. I mean, there are a so many reasons why you might feel tired. I did find this which might explain it:

5 Reasons Why You Feel Extreme Fatigue After Eating Carbshttps://www.gym-pact.com › Nutrition

I suppose she had to say something.
We are aware we eat a lot of carbs and are trying to cut down, a typical day starts with tea and cereal, mid-morning banana then a buttie at lunch, I don't eat again until our evening meal.
Maybe the blood test will show something but I believe it is menopause related however most GPs aren't adequately trained In this area. Will wait for the blood test results and will try the low carb thing and see how it goes, if no luck then I will have to try a different avenue.

My GP suggested I cut my carbs as I feel exhausted and fatigued all the time, my energy levels crash around mid afternoon. I believe this may be menopausal related but am having a blood test next Thursday as a precaution.
We have recently purchased a book which is basically recipes for diabetics, which I am not, but am willing to try.
Any advice would be welcome.
My wife is constantly looking for ways to watch her weight . She hates fizzy and sweets. And walks a lot. I used to drink rum n coke. I now drink gin and water. Every little bit helps.

Russ

My wife is constantly looking for ways to watch her weight . She hates fizzy and sweets. And walks a lot. I used to drink rum n coke. I now drink gin and water. Every little bit helps.

Russ

To be honest my weight isn't a huge issue, obviously I need to be more careful because of my knee, it is the constant tiredness that is dragging me down.

We are aware we eat a lot of carbs and are trying to cut down, a typical day starts with tea and cereal, mid-morning banana then a buttie at lunch, I don't eat again until our evening meal.

I've been thinking how I would approach a low carb diet. Here is the sort of thing I'd do:

• Breakfast: choice of 2 or 3 of the following: bacon, eggs (any way), tomatoes, mushrooms. If you don't have time to cook: hard boiled eggs and tomatoes or smoked salmon and avocado or strawberries and yoghurt or salami and cheese
  • Lunch: mixed leaf salad with either chicken, beef, ham, tofu (marinade it in soy sauce), or cheese
  • Evening: anything you want with a smaller portion of carbs served than usual.

I've been thinking how I would approach a low carb diet. Here is the sort of thing I'd do:

• Breakfast: choice of 2 or 3 of the following: bacon, eggs (any way), tomatoes, mushrooms. If you don't have time to cook: hard boiled eggs and tomatoes or smoked salmon and avocado or strawberries and yoghurt or salami and cheese
  • Lunch: mixed leaf salad with either chicken, beef, ham, tofu (marinade it in soy sauce), or cheese
  • Evening: anything you want with a smaller portion of carbs served than usual.

I like your ideas. We are looking at salads for lunch, maybe make a frittat in the evening for the following days breakfast, avocado is a no no, really cannot get the hang of that.

Just a quirk of nature, I guess.
I usually have a couple of cloves with evening meal which equates to about 7g garlic ( 7/100 * 33) = 2.3g carbs so used in moderation has little effect on blood sugar. There's also an ongoing debate on whether garlic is good or not for people with diabetes .. decision not yet arrived at.
I've been low carb for quite a long time and always moves my health markers in the right direction. As far as garlic is concerned there's a thing called context and dosage and with so few actual carbs in a few cloves of garlic, that the effect on blood sugar is inconsequential and unless a person is allergic garlic is perfectly healthy to consume imo. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom