Recipe Mana'eesh (Palestinian Flatbread)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:50 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Mana'eesh is an olive oil-rich bread, often topped with za'atar. Its actually very easy to make, even if you can't cook it traditionally. I did mine in the oven on baking trays, 2 on each. In theory, the quantity is good for 6, but I just made 4 from mine. The recipe is from Karen's Kitchen Stories - Mana'eesh (Palestinian Flatbread)

A note about yeast. My dried, instant yeast says 2tsp per 500g and does not require dissolving or activating. If the instructions on your packet differ, or you are using fresh yeast, you need to follow your instructions & quantities, not mine.

Ingredients
275-300g white or wholemeal plain flour
1¼ tsp dried yeast (to match instructions of your yeast)
1 tsp sea salt
4 tbsp (60mI) extra virgin olive oil + extra for coating flat breads before cooking
200ml luke warm water
2 tbsp za'atar (or if like me you didn't have any as spicy dukkah)

Method
  1. Sift flour into bowl (any bowl so if using a mixer or food processer, just use that bowl) along with the yeast and the salt. Add the oil and 150-175ml of the water. Just eyeball it.
  2. Mix to firm a sticky dough, adding more water if needed. Knead by hand for 10 minutes or food processor/mixer for 5 minutes or so. The dough will become smooth and less sticky. It will stretch easily.
  3. Form a nice ball of dough and transfer to an oiled bowl with smooth side up, join down. Cover with a damp t-towel or clingfilm (not tight) and more to a warm place for 1-2 hours until doubled in size.*
  4. Preheat your oven to 220°C (fan assist) or simply as hot as it will go. Like pizza crust, these cook fast & quickly at high heat. The original recipe says 500°F which a lot of ovens don't go to. It also says to use a pizza stone, but I don't have one & found it unnecessary.
  5. Once double in size, turn out on a lightly floured surface, cut into 4, 6 or 8 pieces and shape into rounds with minimum handling. flatten & stretch into something 5-10 cm diameter and ~5mm thick.
  6. Transfer to a baking tray, 2 or 3 per tray and put multiple finger indents into each flat bread and, liberally (or as liberal as you feel you need to) coat in more olive oil. Brush it all over the dough with a pastry brush.
  7. If using za'atar (or dukkah) sprinkle 1 tsp per flat bread & press down into the dough.
  8. Cook for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown. (I put 2 trays in my oven without problem).
*A note on proofing. You can proof these overnight in the fridge to cook the following day. Remove from the fridge to warm up whilst your oven is coming up to temperature.
And if, like me, you are lacking somewhere warm to proof the dough, you have several options including the modern day equivalent of a hay box - which is basically something along the same lines but using a hot/cold gel pack that's been heated (or rice/wheat bag) and some towels in a box. Or failing that a larger bowl With warm water in which to put the oiled bowl with your dough. You will need to change the water once or twice & adjust proofing time accordingly - just look for doubled in size as your reference.

Back
Top Bottom