Recipe Marinated and Roasted Onions

caseydog

Local time
6:55 PM
Marinated Roasted Onions

Marinade

Combine 1 cup of apple-cider vinegar, 2-TBSP brown sugar, 1-TBSP finely ground/chopped fresh rosemary, 2 to 4 cloves of diced or crushed garlic, and about a TSP each of salt and black pepper.

Onions
Four thick slices of large sweet yellow onions, like Texas 1015 or Vidalia (or what you have where you live). Slice the onions about 1/2-inch thick. Place them in a baking dish of appropriate size. Pour over the marinade, cover, and put in the fridge overnight.

Roasting
Preheat oven to 400F
Put 1-TBSP of butter on top of each onlion, plus more ground rosemary, if desired. Roast in oven for 1 hour, or until golden brown. Top with a dusting of ParmReg, if desired.

Onion001.jpg

CD

Last edited:
Marinated Roasted Onions

Marinade
Combine 1 cup of apple-cider vinegar, 2-TBSP brown sugar, 1-TBSP finely ground/chopped fresh rosemary, and about a TSP each of salt and black pepper.

Onions
Four large sweet yellow onions, like Texas 1015 or Vidalia (or what you have where you live). Slice the onions about 1/2-inch thick. Pace them in a baking dish of appropriate size. Pour over the marinade, cover, and put in the fridge overnight.

Roasting
Preheat oven to 400F
Put 1-TBSP of butter on top of each onlion, plus more ground rosemary, if desired. Roast in oven for 1 hour, or until golden brown. Top with a dusting of ParmReg, if desired.

View attachment 56500

CD

So it's an entree? Or are you going vege? Or a side? I know a lady who roasts onions, I've never thought of doing it? I'm intrigued!

Russ

So it's an entree? Or are you going vege? Or a side? I know a lady who roasts onions, I've never thought of doing it? I'm intrigued!

Russ

I mentioned in the challenge thread that this is a side dish. It has a bold flavor, so I wouldn't recommend it with something delicate, like a cod filet. I had it with a well seasoned, meaty pork chop, and that was a good combination, especially if you get some pork and onion on the same bite.

CD

I mentioned in the challenge thread that this is a side dish. It has a bold flavor, so I wouldn't recommend it with something delicate, like a cod filet. I had it with a well seasoned, meaty pork chop, and that was a good combination, especially if you get some pork and onion on the same bite.

CD

That sounds perfect to me. I don't enter the comps so I missed that it was a side. I'll think about it for a while. I love onions, I pickle about 40 to 60 kgs every second year.

Russ

That sounds perfect to me. I don't enter the comps so I missed that it was a side. I'll think about it for a while. I love onions, I pickle about 40 to 60 kgs every second year.

Russ

If you like pickled onions, you will like this.

CD

A lovely bold dish where onions are centre stage. I've never tried marinating onions in this way and I like the sound of the marinade which has a good mix of sweet and sour. Does marinating make a big difference for onions? I don't know but I'll definitely give it a go.

Slice the onions about 1/2-inch thick.

So these are not halves of onions as I thought from the photo? You say in the recipe 4 large onions - so you made how many slices from each? Sorry to be pedantic - I'm trying to understand how to do this as I want to try it. :)

A lovely bold dish where onions are centre stage. I've never tried marinating onions in this way and I like the sound of the marinade which has a good mix of sweet and sour. Does marinating make a big difference for onions? I don't know but I'll definitely give it a go.

So these are not halves of onions as I thought from the photo? You say in the recipe 4 large onions - so you made how many slices from each? Sorry to be pedantic - I'm trying to understand how to do this as I want to try it. :)

I had never heard of marinading onions and then roasting them. I pickle onions all the time, but never roast the pickled onions.I got the concept from an online recipe, but I didn't like the recipe as written, so I changed it. The onions are different -- I used the best onions currently available where I am, and a different vinegar and some spices that I prefer to cook with.

The combination of marinading and roasting worked very well.

I just edited the recipe. I used two very large onions, that I cut four thick slices from. So, I need to word it appropriately. Thanks for pointing that out.

Since these onions are well preserved, I put the leftovers in a sealed container, and have been using them as a condiment on things like simple hot dogs, and sandwiches, and I made another pork chop to go with it. I also just snack on them.

CD

Last edited:
Heck yeah. I'm doing this with a red onion overnight, and roasting it tomorrow. I always have pickled onions on-hand, but those are done the "traditional" way (i.e., a pickling mixture of vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and other spices, boiled, then the onions are steeped in the pot and later jarred). Do you store them without the marinade (which would be the pickling liquid in the traditional method)?

Heck yeah. I'm doing this with a red onion overnight, and roasting it tomorrow. I always have pickled onions on-hand, but those are done the "traditional" way (i.e., a pickling mixture of vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and other spices, boiled, then the onions are steeped in the pot and later jarred). Do you store them without the marinade (which would be the pickling liquid in the traditional method)?
I am anxious to hear how they turn out with red onions.

I did not store them in liquid, Like I would with pickled red onions. I just put them in a plastic container in the refrigerator. They are good for at least a couple of weeks that way.

it is my experience that they go very well with pork. Whether it is a pork chop, a pork roast, or even hotdogs. I have not tried it with any other meats, but it may go well with them, also

Last edited:
3EDD69B8-6584-47A8-AB88-CAC11CA79477.jpeg

I didn’t have enough room in the refrigerator for a baking dish, so I decided to do the overnight marinade in a plastic container. And, I didn’t have fresh rosemary, so I used dried rosemary. I will try this again some time with fresh rosemary. Tomorrow, I will roast this in an appropriate dish.

I like the way these turned out. I immediately want to make a hotdog. I can put this on anything. I will be making this again.

he said optional about Parmigiano Reggiano. I went the first 20 minutes without it, then decided to add it. The way it browned was perfect.

Wow! Nice job. I completely get you on the hot dog thing. I have used them as a garnish on several dogs. They are good on pork chops, too. As for the ParmReg, they would taste good without it, but what doesn't taste better with cheese. :laugh:

They have a good shelf life, as they are basically pickled. The butter will float up and harden. Just skim it off and toss it, as it has already done its job. Enjoy.

CD

Before I was done enjoying the dog, I already planned on making a burrito with this and some chicken. Yes...this will be in my arsenal for a long time. When the weather gets nicer, it will be perfect with things that I put on the grill, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom