Marmite or Vegemite?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:28 PM
They say you either love or hate Marmite. Its a UK thing - very salty, tangy and umami. Its made from fermented yeast. Its vegan and is low in fat and an excellent source of B vitamins, particularly B12. A little goes a long way. It can be used to to enhance stews and soups or in marinades. It is very popular served spread (sparingly!) on toast or bread.

In Australia and New Zealand, Vegemite is the equivalent. I recently did a taste comparison and I like both - but I think Vegemite is mellower, more rounded and definitely less salty.

Have you tried either or both? What do you think and how do they compare?

Last edited:
Yip,don't like it,
We have some here for guests that prefer it. When we had earthquakes here the marmite factory was demolished, marmite was going for huge money because of the shortage. Like $30 for a $3 jar!! Made by sanitarium who are seven day adventurers,lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg

I found the marmite had a sour after taste, just not for me.

Russ

Agreed that Marmite is more sour. Vegemite is slightly sweeter, less salty but also less tangy.

I do like both!

But - what you have is not UK Marmite. Its Sanitarium Marmite which I think may be different again.

When in the uk I stayed at a place called the moat house in Kensington, their brekky was the most food on display I've ever seen. The eggs were available about 5 different ways, the spreads were amazing, I tried the uk version of marmite just to try it. I didn't like it either. It seems you are either one or the other. Sanitarium factory was 20 min drive from me, I used to supply them goods to their engineers. I believe their factory is now in Auckland.

Russ

...it seems that NZ Marmite is different. A bit of research reveals that Marmite in the United Kingdom and Sanitorium Marmite™ in NZ are made using different recipes and are owned by two different companies. This link has a comparison:
of the UK and NZ Marmite and Vegemite:

https://carondann.com/2013/05/25/marmiteversusvegemite/
A great read mg, my wife used to eat crisps and Vegemite in a sammich. She also has Vegemite and sliced bananas on crumpets, go figure. Here it's not uncommon for people here to buy a pie, pull the top pastry off and put crisps in and put top back on and eat. Weird eh??

Russ

I must have tried Marmite back in the day but I cannot remember trying Vegemite. I don't believe that either are readily available locally here.

To add another dynamic to the conversation. What about Masterfoods' version... Promite? Not a late entry either... has been around since the 1950's. My very subjective opinion is Vegemite is superior to both Marmite and Promite.

510yuadilIL._AC_SY400_.jpg

But - what you have is not UK Marmite. Its Sanitarium Marmite which I think may be different again.

It is possible to purchase UK Marmite over here in Australia . I've no idea about NZ, though .
I'm hoping @SatNavSaysStraightOn will give a considered opinion on this matter as a Brit who is now living in AUS.
My husband much prefers Vegemite. I'm in the Marmite camp , but I ate Marmite in the UK , he didn't (except when we were on tour, then he ate it because it really does stop midge and mossies (in Scandinavia at least) from biting you.) but ironically my B12 and foliage levels are too high, so I now have to stay away from both of them!
I've also seen another brand but can't remember the name for the life of me. I've seen it whilst I've been over here and it wasn't ProMite

It is possible to purchase UK Marmite over here in Australia . I've no idea about NZ, though .

My husband much prefers Vegemite. I'm in the Marmite camp , but I ate Marmite in the UK , he didn't (except when we were on tour, then he ate it because it really does stop midge and mossies (in Scandinavia at least) from biting you.) but ironically my B12 and foliage levels are too high, so I now have to stay away from both of them!
I've also seen another brand but can't remember the name for the life of me. I've seen it whilst I've been over here and it wasn't ProMite

An Aussie millionaire called Dick Smith who owned an electronics chain got salty when Vegemite (as well as other Aussie food brands such as Arnott's Biscuits) were taken over by foreign interests. He started his own must be made in Australia food company..... and came up with this as a Vegemite replacement.... so maybe this is the one you refer to....Ozemite!!

product-range-ozemitenew.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom