Mason jar fad

I'm not seeing an explicit reply to this, so I'll take it.
thank you.
You can buy them at most grocery stores these days, either with multi-part lids designed for canning, simple screw-on lids for short term food storage, spouted lids for beverages, handles on the side for using as a drinking glass, etc. They are popular for drinking out of as well as packing things like salads:
Ah - sadly I am not in the USA, so purchasing them in grocery stores is not an option. Ours generally stock different items, but I can look at places like IKEA (Has IKEA made it to the USA?) for them.

I'm afraid I really don't like the look of salads packed into glass jars. Not at all sure why, but it makes me feel slightly queasy!

thank you.

Ah - sadly I am not in the USA, so purchasing them in grocery stores is not an option. Ours generally stock different items, but I can look at places like IKEA (Has IKEA made it to the USA?) for them.

Yes, Ikea has been here in the US for quite a while, but there aren't nearly enough of them. I'd have to drive about an hour and a half to get to one :(. Some of the independent grocery stores, as well as some chain grocery stores, carry mason or Ball jars, particularly at certain times of the year.

I'm afraid I really don't like the look of salads packed into glass jars. Not at all sure why, but it makes me feel slightly queasy!

I don't either, personally. The idea is supposed to be to put the dressing on the bottom with any "wet" vegetables or ones that are hardier and can handle the moisture, then build up a barrier with lettuce and put the drier or more delicate vegetables on top. A lot of the salads I've seen have also had pasta or other grains like quinoa in them, which I just don't want in my salad. You can't really eat them in the jar, so you have to dump them onto a plate which gets everything mixed nicely, but I'd just as soon pack my salad in a shorter, wider container that I can just eat it out of directly. I hate washing dishes at work but with a plate covered in dressing you don't really have a choice.

Yes, Ikea has been here in the US for quite a while, but there aren't nearly enough of them. I'd have to drive about an hour and a half to get to one :(. Some of the independent grocery stores, as well as some chain grocery stores, carry mason or Ball jars, particularly at certain times of the year.

Ikea has very strict rules for population size and density in areas they are considering building a new store. I live in a pretty densely populated area with tons of colleges and young families, but apparently we don't meet their requirements. My nearest Ikea is 3 hours away. We've been a couple of times when we've had to make the drive anyway, or when we are passing through on our way to somewhere else. I miss living in Atlanta where we had one right there.

I don't either, personally. The idea is supposed to be to put the dressing on the bottom with any "wet" vegetables or ones that are hardier and can handle the moisture, then build up a barrier with lettuce and put the drier or more delicate vegetables on top. A lot of the salads I've seen have also had pasta or other grains like quinoa in them, which I just don't want in my salad. You can't really eat them in the jar, so you have to dump them onto a plate which gets everything mixed nicely, but I'd just as soon pack my salad in a shorter, wider container that I can just eat it out of directly. I hate washing dishes at work but with a plate covered in dressing you don't really have a choice.

Ikea has very strict rules for population size and density in areas they are considering building a new store. I live in a pretty densely populated area with tons of colleges and young families, but apparently we don't meet their requirements. My nearest Ikea is 3 hours away. We've been a couple of times when we've had to make the drive anyway, or when we are passing through on our way to somewhere else. I miss living in Atlanta where we had one right there.

I figured it was something like that, since their locations do seem to be in large cities. I would love to go and explore, but it's just too far to drive, at least in my car :cry:. I'm sure I'll make it there again someday, but for now, I can always buy online and have items shipped.

Back
Top Bottom