Meal plan: eggs as staple?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
7:55 AM
So, I'm trying out this carbohydrate-free diet for a while, and am building a meal plan. So far, I'm liking eggs as the filling filler-in if I'm going to cut out pasta, rice, and bread. (Potatoes, plantain, and corn are on the fence--I mean, that I'm on the fence about cutting them off too or turning to them.)

This is just to see if I feel healthy afterward, and frankly even if I do I think I will still eventually return to eating carbohydrates because I just can't stay away from pasta for long. Or sticky rice and sugar snacks.

But back to the topic...what can I do with eggs? Okay, a fast question would be, what can't I do with eggs, but I mean that I'm not going to cook it with flour because that's one of the carbs I didn't mention. So...what else can I do with eggs? What sorts of omelettes? Got any recipes? I'm personally not worried about cholesterol right now, since this is just sort of an experiment that'll go on for only as long as I feel like, and I'm sure it takes longer than that to egg-chow oneself into arteriosclerosis.

So far I've got cream-free carbonara sauces (without pasta, they're heated in a saucepan and poured over slices of radish) with mushrooms and some white meat--poultry, or squid. For some reason I haven't felt like tuna.

I went on the "slow" carb diet. All I could eat was 1/3 cup of beans with a protein heavy meal with veggies. I crashed first and then felt amazing. Just don't eat anything unhealthy afterwards or you may be in the bathroom getting rid of everything you just ate. Eggs are amazing for you, they're coming out with studies saying they're not as bad for you as people made them out to be.

Eggs can be used for so much. You can make quiche, frittatas, omelets, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, baked eggs, deviled eggs, boiled eggs, egg salad, egg drop soup, hollandaise sauce, fluffy eggs, there is just so much to do!

Lately I've been trying some different things.

Using an electric blender take egg whites in a bowl (2) and mix until they are stiff (peaked) Spoon them in a baking pan and make a dent for the yolk. Bake at 400 for 5 minutes.

Use a little butter and cook onion, and sausage until soft and cooked through. Then add your mixed eggs, and scramble together. It is amazing.

The egg drop soup is yummy. Make or put in already made chicken broth in a pan. Season it with red pepper, garlic, and onion powder, maybe a pinch of season salt. When it starts to simmer, break 2 eggs in it (for one serving) and let them cook for a few minutes until the whites are done, but are still soft. Then scoop them and the broth into your soup and enjoy. You can add veggies too if you'd like.

I don't eat a lot of eggs although occasionally I like to have them. So versatile I have been having them more, mainly the egg whites.

We often do 'Spanish Omelettes' with them (as mentioned above).

fry some onion, add some chopped cooked potatoes to the onion, add some green veg (uncooked broccoli, part cooked beans/peas) asparagus etc) so you have a cook quantity of veg in there, add the beaten eggs and cook on a low heat until done. It takes a little experimentation to work out what veg needs cooking and what does not. what needs to be well cooked and what doesn't. My OH adds a tablespoon of tamari soya sauce to the egg mix which really makes the favours stand out. We don't add cheese, but there is no reason as to why you can't etc. You want enough eggs to basically hold the whole thing together. We use a deep frying pan/shallow casserole dish to do this in and it will usually last 2 or 3 days for 2 people (that using 9 eggs). We sometimes add spinach to the mix - just throw the leaves in. Generally it is a use whatever veg is around option!

Back
Top Bottom