Meal Subscription Services

cupcakechef

Veteran
Local time
6:16 AM
Japan (expat by way of Australia and USA)
So I've been seeing a bit about these lately - there are businesses out there that essentially offer meal subscription boxes - similar to subscription boxes for beauty items and things like that.

The services send you a few recipes and all the ingredients you need to make them - the meat, the veggies/fruit, the grains - it's all in the box for you.

One particular service I've read about is $59.99 for three meals.

What do you think of this sort of idea? Have you heard of anything like this where you live? Would you say it's useful if you're low on time, or a waste of money?

Would you ever use a service like this?

For me I don't think I would - firstly, $59.99 is a LOT for the equivalent of three dinners - I could go to the supermarket and be in and out in 20 minutes with a specific list and get a whoooole lot more for my money there! Also, I really like finding my own recipes rather than necessarily being bound to what a subscription service thinks I would like to try.

Mainly from a financial perspective though, I don't think I would use this type of service.

550_Blue-Apron.jpg

$59.99 for 3 meals is a lot of money in my book.
Our weekly shop for 2 people including items such as toiletries and household cleaning product is usually only around £60 and that has to taken into account I can't have dairy so milk is £1 for a litre if we shop around and find it on special offer (otherwise it is £1.49/L). I think they must be aiming at a certain sub-section of the population!

Half of the stuff supplied in some of these packages wouldn't be considered if they were on the shelves.
Would it be used if supplied this way, or would it be simply wasted.

"Dieting season" is almost upon us again, that's about the closest I've seen to this in a long while. Similar thing, over priced and for your convenience.

You are paying for convenience when you use one of these services. I think it may appeal to someone that is not comfortable cooking and not sure what to get when they go into a store, even if they have a recipe, because there is so much to choose from on the shelves.

No I would never use something like this, it is to costly for my budget.

$59.99 for 3 meals is a lot of money in my book.
Our weekly shop for 2 people including items such as toiletries and household cleaning product is usually only around £60 and that has to taken into account I can't have dairy so milk is £1 for a litre if we shop around and find it on special offer (otherwise it is £1.49/L). I think they must be aiming at a certain sub-section of the population!

You read my mind, it's waaaay out of my budget! Plus I guess I just like sourcing my own ingredients, you know? Choosing the fruit and veggies that look the best to me, choosing a particular cut of meat - it's eliminating all the fun I get from grocery shopping and just adding a hefty price tag to it.

Honestly I think they're aimed at dual income households where there's a lot of disposable income -- that's not the case for me!! :laugh:

Expensive and pointless, when I can get anything I want delivered the following day (or, in some cases, on the same day) by using on-line supermarket shopping. Not only that, but I can have the delivery scheduled for a one hour time slot any time up until midnight. :happy:

I suppose if someone has the money to buy these and they find it difficult to shop for and plan meals, then this is a good idea. However, it isn't for me. For one thing, I couldn't afford it. For another, I prefer to buy in some staples and ingredients to base a variety of meals on and then cook what we feel like on the day.

I've just received a £25 voucher off one called Gousto which is off 3 or more meals unless you order the smaller boxes and then it is only worth £20!
Looking at the site they offer 6 different options!

We offer 6 types of weekly boxes at the moment, and here’s a breakdown of what they are and how much they cost per week. There is no price variation if only veggie recipes are selected.
  • 2 recipes for 2 people - £29.99 per week
  • 2 recipes for 4 people - £39.99 per week
  • 3 recipes for 2 people - £34.99 per week
  • 3 recipes for 4 people - £49.99 per week
  • 4 recipes for 2 people - £39.99 per week
  • 4 recipes for 4 people - £57.99 per week

They don't seem cheap here either! https://www.gousto.co.uk/learn-more

We have here a grub subscription in the nearby mini mall. I don't know why it's called grub but the menu looks like all vegetables, mostly salad, but with some flavoring of fish and meat as well. So I guess grub means food for the dieters? Maybe. Perhaps I should ask the attendant what it's all about so I would not be guessing anymore. But nevertheless, that's a subscription for meals that they will deliver to your doorstep.

But nevertheless, that's a subscription for meals that they will deliver to your doorstep.
The curious thing about at least the one I have posted up, is that these are the ingredients for you to prepare the meal, not a 'hot' meal if you get my drift. It is simply a 'we have done the planning and shopping for you' now you prepare the meal service really!

Back
Top Bottom