Meatball recipe request

sbnufc

Veteran
Local time
5:55 AM
Is anyone able to share a really delicious meatball recipe?

I'm talking about the actual meatball itself, I'm fine for sauce :p: Of course I am able to make them already, but they often turn out either dry, or soggy almost (crumble a bit in the pan).

I've tried literally just mince rolled into balls and cooked, tried adding cream and breadcrumbs, spices.. all sorts! They just never quite turn out how I'd like.

So, what's your best / go-to meatball recipe?

Although most people I know used beef mince, I actually remove the skin from pork sausages and use that. I also like to finely chop some chillies and put them in the center of the meatball. Cook them in a hot frying pan and turn regularly until brown all over. Add a tomato based sauce and serve with spaghetti.

I eyeball this all, so sorry I don't have exact amounts...

Basically I start with a mixture of even parts ground beef, ground pork, and ground veal. This is often sold as "meatloaf mix" too. If that is not available, then I will go with all ground beef - usually ground round since it's not as greasy, but any ground beef will do. Then I take some slices of bread and remove the outer brown parts, and tear up the white parts and soak them in a small bowl of milk, until they are soft and mushy. I will peel and shred some onion on my box grater and finely dice some garlic and add those in with the meat. Finely chop some parsley and add that in too, along with an egg or two depending on how big of a batch you are making. Squeeze the milk out of the soaked bread ans tear it into small pieces and throw it into the meat mixture. Season well with salt and pepper. You can also add some additional Italian spice blend here and/or some red pepper flakes to taste. Add a good size handful of grated Romano or Parmesan. Mix it all together until you get the desired consistency that you want. I usually make sure to mix it at least until the soaked bread is fully incorporated.

To cook them, I typically line baking sheets with foil and spray with cooking spray, then scoop out balls with a small ice cream scoop and then roll them with your hands to make them smooth and even in size. Bake until the meatballs are a deep brown on the outside. It doesn't matter if they are cooked in the middle or not, as we will simmer them with the sauce later.

1lb hamburger
1lb sausage
1 onion
1 green pepper
2 eggs
1/2c steak sauce
11/2c shredded cheddar cheese

I mix all the above ingredients together. Sort out balls in your size preference into a deep dish pan. I've actually gotten this recipe out of a low carb diet book and have become hooked. They turn out everytime.

Back
Top Bottom