Status
Not open for further replies.

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:43 AM
Just got this in the mail, marking my calendar:

Yes, I plan on entering a meatloaf. Thinking of possibly making a frosted meatloaf.

Yes, and encouraged!

It's another one of those old retro/vintage 1950's things. Weirdly cool, though the trendy thing the last few years has been meatloaf cupcakes with piped on mashed potato frosting.

I ain't doin' that, though. That's goin' too far! :laugh:

Could be like a meatloaf yule log. Oh dear me. I really dislike gimmicky food and now I'm joining in.

Yes, and encouraged!

It's another one of those old retro/vintage 1950's things. Weirdly cool, though the trendy thing the last few years has been meatloaf cupcakes with piped on mashed potato frosting.

I ain't doin' that, though. That's goin' too far! :laugh:
Ooh, that sounds wonderful!
I haven't made Meatloaf in the longest time and I always like it with the mashed Potatoes on top of it for some reason.
I think making them in those jumbo muffin tins would be great for portioning and freezing. We never finish an entire Meatloaf in one go.
I also think that piping the `taters would look very cool, never thought of that trick... a sprinkle of shredded cheese and drizz of melted butter on top and then broiled/grilled to melt and brown it all :hungry:

Ooh, that sounds wonderful!
I haven't made Meatloaf in the longest time and I always like it with the mashed Potatoes on top of it for some reason.
I think making them in those jumbo muffin tins would be great for portioning and freezing. We never finish an entire Meatloaf in one go.
I also think that piping the `taters would look very cool, never thought of that trick... a sprinkle of shredded cheese and drizz of melted butter on top and then broiled/grilled to melt and brown it all :hungry:
You should give it a shot. There are tons of recipes out there for them.

If I took meatloaf cupcakes to the American Legion do, they'd throw me out. :laugh:

I can't recall at this moment where I got this notion, but I make of a basic Meatloaf/Meatball recipe; divide it up to make mostly meatballs (80/20 maybe) and then a small Meatloaf that I envelop in thick cut Bacon. I bake it on a lined sheet pan and not in a loaf pan ... the fat all drains away from the meat this way and I'm not left with a soggy/greasy mess.
meatloafsupper001.jpeg

I know that the dish is done when the Bacon is crisp.

meatloafsupper003.jpeg

Since it's been just us two for so many years, I just roast some potatoes along side the Meatloaf and serve it all up with a vegetable de jour

Smoked meatloaf. It's a winner, I tell ya'.

Actually, I have everything staged in the fridge to smoke a loaf on Sunday.

CD
I don't give a rat's about winning, I just want to go eat a bunch of different meatloafs! :laugh:

I bake it on a lined sheet pan and not in a loaf pan ... the fat all drains away from the meat this way and I'm not left with a soggy/greasy mess.
That's how I do mine, shape it into a mound, and it goes on a rack over a sheet pan. Works very well.

As for ideas, other than smoking the loaf, I always use a 50/50 blend of ground beef (chuck) and ground pork. I've seen a lot of recipes that use ground/bulk breakfast sausage instead of ground pork. I've never tried that. I would probably choose bulk sweet Italian sausage, myself.

I also free form my meatloaf, instead of using a loaf pan. On the smoker, I put it right on the grate, and put a drip pan below it. I freeform the loaf, and put it in the fridge for an hour or two to firm up.

Some people do a bacon wrap. I don't do that for smoked meatloaf, because the bacon layer keeps the smoke from fully penetrating the meat loaf.

Going back to the beef/Italian sausage blend, making a NYC Italian "sausage and peppers" meatloaf might be interesting. Mix the meat, and put some lightly sautéed onions and bell peppers in the mix.

If you use the right kind of meat, you don't really NEED a sauce or gravy. It won't be dry. But another idea would be to use a ground steak cut of meat, and make a traditional peppercorn sauce, like you would use for steak au poivre.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom