Meaty Herbs

sixxup

Veteran
Local time
10:05 AM
Which herbs do you like mixing with meat while cooking? Are the herbs just tasty or they have other health benefits?

To be honest, I can't think of a single herb which can't be used in a meat dish! It just depends on which meat and what kind of dish. I'm fond of tarragon with chicken. But I also like tarragon with lamb or beef! Mint is probably the most tricky. Although in Asian style dishes mint is often added to all kinds of meat. Rosemary and lamb is another classic combo. But yet again, it can be used with any other meat!

Popular common herbs for meat are tarragon,thyme!rosemary,sage and bay but bay is deemed to be bad for blood pressure and your heart

Popular common herbs for meat are tarragon,thyme!rosemary,sage and bay but bay is deemed to be bad for blood pressure and your heart
Gosh! I've never heard that regarding bay. I wonder why? But with bay we only tend to use a few leaves at most. Could it really be that bad?.... @morning glory goes off to google...

Have now done a moderate bit of googling for bay and its health hazards. I couldn't find anything too bad, certainly no mention of blood pressure. On the contrary, there are lots of references to its benefits for diabetes and the heart, like this one: http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/bay-leaf-uses-for-diabetes/#axzz3hUdboqpR

I'd be interested to know your source.:scratchhead:
I went to to a cooking demonstration with Albert roux mid 80s and still remember to this day him saying in his French accent about bay leaves being bad for the heart ,
The man the legend Mr gourmet himself"........

I think over the years reading the write ups there has been varrying opinions on bay is it poisonous ,is it good for you,there seems to be oposing opinions,but a lot of sites do say it's good got you .......

Back
Top Bottom