Recipe Megruli Khachapuri

Local time
10:52 AM
Khachapuri are Georgian flatbreads - we first tried these at at a Russian restaurant and this week decided to try to replicate them at home. Some Khachapuri are boat-shaped open cheese pies with an egg in the middle, others have the cheese mix stuffed inside. I there are lots of recipes online for both types, but we decided to go for a Megruli Khachapuri (the stuffed version).

Recipe makes 2 flatbreads.

For the dough:

- 154g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 100g water

Mix the dough ingredients together, knead for a few minutes then leave to prove until roughly doubled in size.

For the filling:
- 200g grated mozzarella
- 120g crumbled feta

Preheat your oven to at about 200C
Mix the cheeses together, then take out a couple of handfuls to keep aside to sprinkle on top
Divide the proved dough into two balls and roll out into circles - you want the dough to be about 5mm thick
Put a ball of the cheese mix in the centre of each dough circle, bring the edges in and seal to make a flat parcel
Turn over and gently roll out a bit
Egg wash the dough parcels, sprinkle with the reserved cheese mix, make a steam hole in the middle and bake in the oven (I used a pizza stone) for 10-15 minutes until golden

Apologies for the terrible photo - I'm not the best photographer at the best of times and I was in a bit of a rush last night and didn't notice how bad it was until after we'd eaten. Of course by then it was too late:giggle:

lmqxO46l.jpg

Feta and Mozzarella - lovely! I googled and found quite a few photos of this bread with an egg cooked on top too, which would be good.

Back
Top Bottom