Metal vs silicion baguette tray?

elsmandino

Veteran
Local time
1:55 PM
Hi there

I have just started to make my own baguette dough, with my Panasonic breadmaker, and my family are adoring them at the moment.

The only problem is that they are not keeping their shape and I need a proper tray for second proving and then baking.

I have found two types that seem to fit the bill, one carbon steel:

Carbon Steel Baguette Baking Tray-3 Loaves : Amazon.co.uk: Home & Kitchen

and one that is silicon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Baking-Silicone-Baguette-Indoor/dp/B086QNBM37/ref=sr_1_32_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=baguette+tray&qid=1631175304&sr=8-32-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTjJDUDJVM0FGODFSJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDQ3NDA1MjRZQlNNSEJLWVFUSCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODU5OTI5M09PR1oxNzhRRkwxUSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

Any advice, on which to go for, would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one similar to the metal one and it works a treat. I think its much better than silicon because both the metal and the perforations in the metal base make promote a crisper crust.

Thanks every so much for that MG - much appreciated.

I shall go with one of the metal ones.

Have had a look and, as usual, there are loads of them on Amazon.

1. Are they all the same, essentially? I really want to make sure that I get one that is completely safe.

2. Can I second proof the dough in these trays before adding them straight to the oven? I have seen quite a few videos that show that you need to use a couching cloth. If possible, I would like to avoid this extra step unless it is absolutely crucial.

Back
Top Bottom