Recipe Mexican meatball tacos

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
6:28 AM
This is my version of a dish we saw on TV from the restaurant Johnny Sanchez, which was a collaboration between John Besh and Aaron Sanchez. I wish I could have tried the dish in the restaurant to see how close I got.

Ingredients

1 lb G. beef, lean
1/8 to ¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
¼ cup cotija cheese, crumbled
2 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
1/8 cup masa
1 tsp adobo seasoning

½ head garlic
2 poblanos
¾ med Vidalia onion

2 tbsp lard

1 lb ripe tomatos
¾ med Vidalia onion
½ head garlic
1 whole canned chiptole and some adobo sauce
¼ cup beef stock
1 tbsp cold butter cut into cubes

Chiptole mayo (mayo and chipotles in adobo blended)
small tortillas
pickled red onions

Directions

Roast garlic, poblano and onions until soft, 400 for 25-30 minutes until soft, on open sheet pan, cool, then puree.

Roast tomatoes, onion, garlic until soft, cool, then puree with chiptole/adobo.

I do both of above at same time on same large sheet pan, using foil to divide and keep separate.

Mix G. beef, poblano puree, breadcrumbs, cotija, cilantro, masa, adobo seasoning, form into 1" or so meatballs, bake in 400 oven about 25 minutes until done.

Melt lard, cook roasted tomato puree mix, add beef stock for a medium thick sauce, finish with butter.

Warm or grill tortillas. Place some chipotle mayo, then 3-4 meatballs on tortillas, add some sauce, crumbled cotija cheese, pickled red onion slices, and garnish with cilantro. Serve.

I really like this. Is there enough masa to get any corn flavor, or is it more subtle?

I assume you’re roasting the garlic, tomatoes, and peppers with some oil. But, you have onion and garlic in both of the first 2 steps. Do you have some of both on both sides of the divider on that sheet?

The masa is a binder besides breadcrumbs. It really doesn't add any taste.

I roast them separately per the recipe since some of the onion and garlic go in the meatballs and the sauce, and it's just easier to slide them into the food processor/blender if they are already divided.

Back
Top Bottom