3:12 PM
Mexican Michoacán Style Chile Oil Macha Salsa:

full.jpg

Ingredients:

1) Chiles de arbol - 30 to 40

full.jpg

2) Peanut Oil - 1/8 cup
3) Adobo paste, dark - 1/2 tspn.

NOTE: Ingredients as listed make about 4 to 6 Oz. of salsa. Increase the quatities of ingredients to produce more.

Procedure:

1) Chop up the chiles de arbol into pieces.
2) Pan heat the pieces of chiles at about 275 to 350F.

WARNING: Heating chopped up chiles de arbol will give off a stinging vapor that may cause breathing problems. It is advisable to heat the chiles in a well ventilated space and wear a face or mouth covering like a wetted towel. Keep a sliced tomato nearby to chew on or possibly rub the eyes with to dull the stinging. It may be best to heat the chiles outdoors and not in the kitchen.

WARNING: It is advisable that persons with anaphylaxis issues not proceed with this recipe without the assistance of someone who does not have anaphylaxis issues and can do the heating step for them - and be around for safety reasons. The chile vapor given off when heating is very potent and can have a severe impact on breathing.

3) Use a mortar and pestle to further crush the heated chile pieces.

full.jpg

4) Bottle the crushed chile.
5) Add peanut oil in a quantity that just covers the chiles.
6) Stir in the adobo paste.
7) Seal the bottle.
8) Allow to age at room temperature for about 3 to 4 weeks before using.

Last edited:
Weather permitting, I take a pan out to the gas grill on the patio to toast my hot dry chilis. If I toast them indoors, I do so at arm's length. I've gotten a whiff of toasting hot chilis before. :eek:

CD

Back
Top Bottom