Microwave Power

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:28 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Back in the UK, it was uncommon in my experience to purchase a microwave with more than 800-900 watts. I can easily remember some having only 650W.

Now I's living in Australia for a few years, and I have purchased one here (the oven didn't work when we first moved in), and the least powerful I could find was 1200W!

We saw some on the shelves at 1400W :eek:

So this lead me to wonder, what is the wattage of your microwave and can you state the country as well.

Whilst I was looking for something about this online, I did come across this useful site which appears to be a conversion guide for wattage verses time according to packet instructions, so if your wattage microwave is not listed on the food packaging, you can use this site to find out what it should be... https://www.microwavewatt.com/

Do you know, I don't have a clue! I bung stuff in on high and check it frequently. Not sure it really makes much difference unless you are timing something critically. I'm sure I've lost the instruction book otherwise I'd let you know!

Our combination oven at home is 1000 w and the commercial microwave at work is 1850 w

Just checked, it states 1200w on the plate, at the rear. Plain microwave.

Original test date shows 26/08/92, with a further four since then. Bought new.

Not sure it really makes much difference unless you are timing something critically
An 800W microwave will take 3 minutes to boil 250ml of (almond) milk straight out of the fridge (and in our pyrex 500ml glass measuring jug - bowl size will cause timing differences). In the 1200W microwave it is 2 minutes. Put it on for 3 minutes and you will be washing the insides of the microwave out very quickly! It makes a difference if it is the wrong way round. At my in-laws' their microwave is a 600W microwave. So something that takes 10 minutes in theirs will only take 5 minutes in ours. It is a considerable time difference and more than enough to kill and burn most things.

We have an LG combined microwave/grill here in Thailand. The microwave is 1200 w and the grill 1100 w.

Do you know, I don't have a clue! I bung stuff in on high and check it frequently. Not sure it really makes much difference unless you are timing something critically. I'm sure I've lost the instruction book otherwise I'd let you know!

MG: I always download the manual for my electronic goods from the internet (if available). Two reasons - 1) the print in the supplied manual is sometimes very small whereas the downloaded document text may be increased to a size you desire. 2) in this part of the world the manual supplied may not be in English.

And, I cannot forget where I put the manual (which I always do with the hard copy). :eek:

MG: I always download the manual for my electronic goods from the internet (if available). Two reasons - 1) the print in the supplied manual is sometimes very small whereas the downloaded document text may be increased to a size you desire. 2) in this part of the world the manual supplied may not be in English.

And, I cannot forget where I put the manual (which I always do with the hard copy). :eek:
I'd probably manage to lose the manual even if I downloaded it! But its a good idea...

My microwave is 1100 watts. Bought in 1997. I am in the US.
30 seconds to melt butter on blueberry bread.

Back
Top Bottom