Milk for Mac n Cheese

When I was first learning to cook, I tried to make cheese sauce with low fat milk. That was a disaster. ;-0
I suspect it was either the recipe or the method that was at fault then, rather than the fact it was low fat milk. I often add plain water to my cheese sauce if I'm a bit short of milk. How are you making your cheese sauce? Are you making a roux or thickening with cornflour?

Reactions: mjd
I suspect it was either the recipe or the method that was at fault then, rather than the fact it was low fat milk. I often add plain water to my cheese sauce if I'm a bit short of milk. How are you making your cheese sauce? Are you making a roux or thickening with cornflour?

I start with a roux, add milk and then the cheese until melted. I did it like I had always done it except I didn't have any other milk and it was a grainy non-congealed pot of warm milk.

ETA: I've never made it with corn flour. I've always used A/P flour for the roux.

When I was first learning to cook, I tried to make cheese sauce with low fat milk. That was a disaster. ;-0
I made it with low-fat milk & it came out great!! Before it's ready to use, just beat it with a whip for a few minutes!! :whistling:

Really? I never tried that. Does yours end with baking? I usually don't bake mine. I put it in the Crock-pot so the cheese is ooey-gooey.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'end with baking?' I can tell you that I also have used Sour Cream when making things that might normally use milk. It gives a slightly modified taste to dishes that appeals to me. Cream in place of Milk, is heavier and thicker. Both Half N Half and Sour Cream are preferred by me to keep things from getting too liquid. I use Half N Half when I need a more liquid result and Cream for thicker. Sour Cream adds the flavor dimension, as I have stated.

As TastyReuben suggested, you can also use some Cream Cheese to get things thicker and with another alternate flavor dimension, but in the case of Cream Cheese, Cheddar will override it.

Butter is always a good ingredient to add to Mac N Cheese too.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'end with baking?' I can tell you that I also have used Sour Cream when making things that might normally use milk. It gives a slightly modified taste to dishes that appeals to me. Cream in place of Milk, is heavier and thicker. Both Half N Half and Sour Cream are preferred by me to keep things from getting too liquid. I use Half N Half when I need a more liquid result and Cream for thicker. Sour Cream adds the flavor dimension, as I have stated.
Some people put all the ingredients together and bake their macaroni and cheese. It gives it a more "solid" form than the non-baked version.

The cheese I have is sharp Cheddar so I'll try the cream cheese addition the next time I have a milder cheese.

I start with a roux, add milk and then the cheese until melted. I did it like I had always done it except I didn't have any other milk and it was a grainy non-congealed pot of warm milk.

ETA: I've never made it with corn flour. I've always used A/P flour for the roux.

Translation needed.

UK-Corn Flour = US-Cornstarch

If you were to use cornstarch, you would not make a roux with it. A small amount would be used as a thickening agent. I'm guessing you would mix it into your wet ingredients (milk/cream), and bring it to a low boil to thicken, then add your cheese. I'm not sure, as I make a roux for Mac and cheese.

CD

Back
Top Bottom