Mirliton (Chayote)

I think it could be difficult to find them here in the UK - annoying! Mirliton is also the name of a type of flute. For those that don't know - here is a photo of mirliton:

mirliton.jpg

We also stuff them with a bread crumb, trinity mixture, and then a buttercream sauce of shrimp and/or crab and/or crawfish. That's my favorite.

In Louisiana chayote squash are called mirliton. If you use these squash, what are some of the dishes you make? The seed is edible. We love to remove the flesh and stuff them with crawfish etouffee or spicy rice like jambalaya or make corn and mirliton maque choux as a side dish.

That is complete new to me, and I studied French,lol. Even mgs pic is still a blank. I know the crawfish thing though.
I need to giggle this.

Russ

chayote squash - I found them in my supermarket once or twice, totally unusual squash. I bought them once a while ago, and ended up stir frying them in a recipe I recollect nothing about. They were good, not great.

I'll have to see when or if I can find them again - Craig's Louisiana approach sounds delectable! I'd try that!

Back
Top Bottom